Recovery

Chapter 17:

Madison's POV

-three weeks later at Indy-

Today we are in Indy, it's looking pretty promising for today's race. This weekend I have double duty, which I'm excited about. Xfinity and Cup have decided to dedicate both races to Ryan, and Ryan is also coming for today's race. I really wanna win for him, and help out with all the medical bills and stuff, since I'm up for the Dash for Cash.

I don't have my typical paint scheme, and either do some of the other drivers. Bubba, Cale, Regan, Ben, Ty, Austin, Erik, Brad, and I  have special paint schemes for supporting Ryan. Also I have a picture of Ryan and I on the dash for some motivation.

"Austin Dillion will win the pole!" The announcer says. I look up at the leader board and I get bumped down to third, which was okay. Ever since that win at Daytona, we've been on fire with top five finishes.

"Hey Maddie!" Erin waves.

"Hey Erin!" I say walking over the pit wall. Emma was not to far behind pushing Ryan in his wheelchair.

"Hey bro." I say rubbing his shoulder.

"How was he in therapy?" I ask.

"Pretty good, he only had speech therapy today. The therapist focused on simple words and he had some trouble, but he did a good job." Emma replies.

"Well that's good to hear." I say looking down at Ryan. He was trying to move his hand up to point at something, but he struggled a bit. I kneel down to his level to see he was pointing at Brad's 22 car.

"Wanna go over and see Brad?" I ask grabbing his hand. One thing he communicates is by squeezing our hand. One squeeze for no and two squeezes for yes, it's a simple way for him to communicate. But of course they have to be yes or no questions.

"Does he wanna go over there?" Erin asks.

"Yeah." I reply standing up.

"Can you take him? Cale wants to see me real quick." Emma says looking down at her phone. I nod and Emma walks away. I grab the handles and started pushing Ryan towards the 22 car. A very familiar sight, every time I would visit home. Dad decided to keep Ryan's car from Daytona, even though there's not really much left of it. The reason why is that Ryan could've been killed that night, but the car managed to keep him alive. He maybe critically injured, but he's alive.

"Hey Brad, someone wants to see you." I say stopping next to the side of the 22 car. Brad slips out of his car, and knees down to Ryan's level.

"Hey bud, glad you could come. You excited to she your sister race today?" Brad asks taking Ryan's hand. Ryan squeezed his hand twice, and Brad smiles.

"Do you think she'll win?" Brad asks. Again Ryan squeezed his hand twice

"I think so too bud." Brad laughs standing up.

"I have to go meet Paige now. Thanks so much for brining him here, I really wanted to see how he's doing. I'll see you later bud!" Brad asks.

"No problem, bye!" I wave. I look back down at Ryan and he was slowly moves his hand to touch the side of the 22 car. My heart broke into pieces, Ryan was scheduled to drive today, but he'll probably never drive again...

"Wanna go see how Bubba's doing?" I ask reaching my hand down towards his. He slowly lifts his hand up, and squeezes twice for yes. I grab to handle bars and pushed Ryan down pit road towards the 6 car.

"Hey!" Bubba says.

"Someone wanted to come see you." I say.

"Hey Ryan, you doing good?" Bubba asks reaching his hand out. Ryan takes it and squeezes his hand twice.