Chapter Forty Six

Chapter Forty Six

2041

"Jamie," Paul whispered into the canopy, "you can climb down now, it's safe."

With that, rustling could be heard from above and eventually Jamie's figure could be seen, carefully climbing down the trunk.

"What was it? What were the voices?" Jamie asked.

"I think they're bringing new people into the village, about a hundred or so of them. Those poor people probably don't know what they're signing up for."

"New people? That's terrible, they can't hurt more people." Jamie murmured.

"I know Jamie, it's bad news for them but it's good news for us."

"How is it good news for us?"

"Don't you see Jamie? This is our opportunity to get out of here!"

"I don't get it." Jamie admitted, puzzled.

"Well, it's not our way out just yet, we won't be able to get out straight away. The thing is, if we sneak into that crowd of people then there's no way that anyone would pay any attention to us. They wouldn't notice us, so we'd be safe." Paul explained.

"You want to sneak back into the village that we're supposed to be trying to escape from?"

"Look, it's not as stupid as it sounds, our priority at the moment is staying safe in the short term. To do that, we need to divert attention away from us, they're looking for us so we need to lay low for a bit. This could be our last chance."

Jamie didn't look so sure. Paul stepped towards him, placing both hands on his shoulders and reassuring him that he could trust him. "We'll get out of here sometime, I know you don't want to stay here for a second longer and I know what they did to you and the other children was awful. For now though, we have to be strong and hold on to the hope that one day we'll get out of here. Okay? Are you ready?"

Jamie nodded sadly, images of the empty beds in the lab filling his mind, beds that were once filled with children. They were battered children, with barely a breath left in their body but they were alive back then, they had a chance of returning home to their families, but not anymore.

"They're gone now," Jamie thought, "let's hope they're in a happier place."