Chapter Sixty Four

Chapter Sixty Four - Kaitlyn

2050

Shane was sprawled across the floor with a bullet deeply embedded into his forehead. I ran over to him and begged, "Wake up Shane! Wake up!" Our parents were sat in silence, in complete shock, but tears were swiftly flowing down their cheeks.

"You idiot Shane, you idiot! Wake up!" I sobbed, hitting him over and over in the chest.

"He certainly is an idiot. If anyone else wants to try something stupid then feel free." Our captor said smugly.

But that smug face didn't last for long. I felt a hand gently stroking my hair and heard a soothing voice saying, "It's okay Kaitlyn, I'm okay." Both sets of parents (with the exception of my unconscious dad) gasped as the bullet seemed to force its way out of his skull and our captor stood completely and utterly gobsmacked. Although Shane's parents seemed shocked, they also had a sense of knowing about them, as if they somehow predicted this might happen.

"I remember everything." Shane claimed, as I wrapped my arms around him and felt the dark shadow of grief fade away.

"But... But... That's... Impossible." The villain stuttered, stunned. "Unless... No, that's not possible, we would have known."

"Unless what? Unless my body was the first to accept infinosil after the mindless kidnap and slaughter of god knows how many children? Unless I escaped with a man who raised me as a son because my real parents were already dead? Unless we escaped only to find ourselves stuck in another village where we changed our names and pretended to be newcomers like the rest?" Shane listed. This caused his parents to gasp in unison.

"He remembers!" They cried.

"For a minute there I thought it wouldn't work this time." His dad explained.

However my own mum had no room for joy, she was hurriedly trying to find my Dad's pulse and I watched as she sighed in relief when she finally found it.

"The boy who escaped all those years ago? Jamie was it? That was you? But you were shot, we found your blood on the window sill... But of course, we've seen for ourselves that a bullet wound wouldn't stop you. We thought the infinosil didn't work on you, like it didn't work on the others, and like it hasn't worked on anyone else since. I... I can't believe it."

"Why can't you just let us go?" Shane's mum pleaded, as if this new development changed everything.

"If we were going to tell anyone then we would have done so already, there are reasons that we didn't. They would have thrown us into a psychiatric hospital, we had no evidence, they would have thought we were mad." His dad added.

"Don't you see? This isn't just about other people finding out anymore! The infinosil worked, years of research have finally been made worth it, now we can find a way to make it work on others! All the government's funding and planning was a success." Our captor practically screamed in excitement.

"The government?" I asked, shocked.

"Yes, who else? They want an invincible army, isn't that obvious? Keep up girl."

I noticed Shane was being rather quiet and I turned around to find his eyes scanning our surroundings, until his eyes became fixed on a point which was blocked from my view.

He spoke for the first time in a while and asked, facing his parents, "why did you say you didn't tell anyone again?"

"We had no evidence." His dad answered.

"Well, looks like I've solved that problem for you." Shane claimed.

"What? How?" Robert asked, confusion etched on his face.

"That CCTV camera up there is flashing green, that means it's filming."

For a brief moment, our captor turned around to inspect this new threat. Although brief, that moment was long enough for Shane to lunge at him and grab the weapon from his grip.

He, now weaponless, attempted to keep an air of confidence about him, but it didn't take much to see his hands were shaking.

"Looks like things have taken a swing in our favour." Shane stated, allowing himself to smile, as I untied our parents from the chairs.

"Ring 999 Kaitlyn, we need an ambulance for your Dad, and we need the police."