Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen - Kaitlyn

2050

"Oh my gosh," was all I could think when I watched the shadow stretch across my desk. "Oh my gosh, it's him, it's really him!"

At first I was panicking; what if he was going to ask me why I kept looking at him? Or why I was such a freak?

But the moment I plucked up the courage to look at him, I felt a huge weight being lifted off my shoulders. By the look on his face, I knew he genuinely wanted to talk to me, he acted so shy but at the same time so confident. How does that combination even work?

I know now, looking back on the day, that I had seen through the façade of confidence that he masked his character with every day. He seemed to have mastered it in front of everyone else but I somehow managed to break past it, even in the early days of our friendship.

I felt this overwhelming sense of relief that he had any interest in me, it meant that it would be easier to get to know him and discover why it is that I recognise him.

The next couple of days, the only contact I really had with Shane was a shy smile every now and then when we passed each other in the corridor; neither of us shared a lesson except English and we had no English lessons on Thursdays or Fridays. I started to wonder if he regretted speaking to me, if he'd decided that he didn't want to hang out with me afterall. Why had he not stopped to speak to me? Had someone said something to him about the accident to make him think I'm a freak or had I said something that put him off?

But after last period on Friday, Nathan ran after me down the corridor and handed me a note. Just a simple white piece of lined paper, folded in half. I had never really spoken to Nathan before, he had sat beside me and Aimee in maths all year but still had barely uttered a word to me, so why was he chasing me down the corridor after this maths lesson?

"Kaitlyn, Kaitlyn wait up! I have something for you." He said, out of breath from running.

I slowed down a little, curious as to what it could be.

"It's from Shane," he explained, "he knew we had last period together so asked me to give you this."

I stopped suddenly, as soon as I heard the word "Shane".

He caught up after a while and handed me the note. Then said, "I better get going then, before I miss my bus."

"Thank you," I muttered, "Goodbye."

I opened up the note, inside were some scribbled letters and numbers- a phone number and some words saying, "Sorry for being a chicken!"

A chicken? Was this his way of saying that he had been too cowardly to talk to me?