Chapter Two

Chapter Two - Shane

2050

It was 7:15am when I was awakened by the blissful melody of birds singing.

I opened my eyes, jumped out of bed instantly and thought, "today is going to be the day where everything starts going right."

Yeah right. More like:

•I was awakened by my Mum's harsh voice, demanding that I get up for school.

•I lingered in my bed with my eyes closed for as long as I possibly could, before my Mum charged in and pulled the covers off of me; exposing me to the day ahead.

•And I thought, "The day where everything starts going right, is a day that will never come."

Your first impressions may be that I was a typical, lazy teenage boy, but I can assure you, that wasn't the case. I was a seventeen year old with many reasons to be miserable.

For starters, I lost my memory about two years before, after having a skiing accident. I didn't remember it of course. Everything, besides how to talk, walk, spell and count, was forgotten. Almost as if my brain was a long and daunting corridor with a row of doorways, only I no longer had the keys that allowed me to enter them.

You would assume that my parents would show as much affection towards me as they possibly could, in a hope that it would bring back the memories of the affection they must have shown me in the past.

They gave up on that long ago.

I think they tried to convince themselves that the accident never happened. I don't blame them for wishing to rid themselves of the unimaginable burden of practically losing their son.

That's what I was; a burden.

What did I contribute to the household? I just drained them of the money that they worked so hard to earn. I had no brother nor sister to make up for the limited attention I gave them.

I tried to stay out of their way. I tried to make as little an impact on their lives as possible; for it was clear that any impact would be a negative one.

As a teenager, I never asked who I was in the past, before the accident- what kind of person I was. But the truth is, two years later and I still had no idea who I was in the present.