PCK Chapter 17

I opened my eyes and automatically shut them. I didn't want to wake up. It would only hurt. My dad remembered it was my birthday. He remembered me. A small kindle of hope built up in me. He just needed help that's all. I could help him. It would just take awhile. I had to go back. He needed me.

"Rufus, babe? Are you awake?" Max asked, he sounded worried.

A wet rag was rubbed gently on my face. It hurt so badly. Tears burst through my shut eyes and fell down my cheeks. Max put away the rag. What was I thinking? I couldn't go back. I thought I had made the right choice to go back. I thought I wasn't hurting anyone, but I was. I hurt Max again. Tears welled up in my eyes and a bubble was stuck in my throat. How could I hurt him again? Would I ever stop?

I opened my eyes and grabbed him. He was kneeling on the bed, but I pulled him onto it with me. I sat up and clung to him like a little child. That's all I could ever be.

"Shh, it's okay, Kye. It's all over," he soothed. He rocked me back and forth and cradled my head. I pulled myself onto his lap and wrapped my legs around his waist.

"I'm sorry," I sobbed into his should.

He pressed his lips to my forehead. "It's okay Roof. It's okay. I've got you. It's all over."

"No," I said. "It's not over. It'll never be over. I keep making the worst decisions and keep hurting you. I thought that if I went back it would help everyone. I'm so stupid." I was crying uncontrollably now. If it had been anyone other than Max, they wouldn't have understood me.

He pulled back and was staring into my eyes. "Kyler, you can't take it back. Going back there hurts everyone. You know that now. You won't ever go back. You can't. He'll kill you." He paused. "I don't know what I would do if... if he..." He put his hand on my cheek and kissed my forehead gently. "No one is ever going to touch you again. I swear."

"You can't say that. You have to live your life. You can't spend all your time on a hopeless... me," I countered. "You have everything and then some going for you."

"No of that matters. You are my whole world, my whole life. You are my best friend, my sunshine, my girlfriend." He said the word and scrunched up his nose.

I laughed softly and pushed his shoulder. "I'm serious," he continued. "I don't know what I would do without you. You are my go to person, Kye. You mean everything to me."

A tear slid down my face. I grabbed hold of his neck and didn't let go. He laid down on his bed and we clung to each other. He was the only person who mattered right now. He was probably the only person who would ever matter.

Max kissed all my bruises and cuts and let me lay there and cry on him. When I was done, we still laid there for another couple of minutes.

"Maxxy," I said. My voice was rough and soft.

"Yeah, Roof," he replied.

"He... he tried..." I paused. A tear slid down face. Max wiped the hair away from my face.

"Shh, I know. I don't want to hear about it," he said.

"But he-"

"No, Kyler," he said angrily. I tensed up in his arms.

Max took a deep breath. "Sorry, I just, I can't hear about it," he whispered.

I nodded and pushed my head into his chest.

"Wha tim ss t?" I asked, muffled against his chest.

He chuckled a little. "What?"

I pulled my head back a little. "What time is it?"