PCK Chapter 10

I didn't write a whole lot.  I hope you like it.  I got back to business.  No much happy stuff.

It was after dinner and Max was in the shower.  I was lying in his bed in his bed looking up at the ceiling, trying to untangle my life.  I had to go home, or I knew my dad would come looking for me.  I needed something to do after school so I didn't have to come home.  Then there was Nick to think about.  What did I even think about him?  What did Max think about him?

I was grumbling to myself when water droplets sprinkled in my eyes.  I sat up and saw Max shaking his head like a dog.  "I thought that'd catch your attention," he smiled.

I frowned.  "Max, I have to go," I said, getting up from the bed and picking up my things.

He grabbed my wrist and put a hand on my cheek.  "Why?"  His brows were pulling together.

"I have to leave before my dad decides to come over here and get me.  If I leave, it'll make it easier on us both," I said, pulling away and stuffing things in bags.

"Kye, I can keep you safe if you stay here," he grabbed my arm and pulled me to him.  "Stay.  If this is about the kissing game thing, I'll stop, just don't go home.  You haven't even been here for three nights."

I pushed away from him again.  I kept my eyes on the floor.  "We both know that the longer I stay the harder I'll get it."

Max helped me gather my things and kept trying to change my mind.  We walked down the stairs when all my things were packed.  I was carrying my makeup bag and dirty laundry.  Max was hauling the rest.  Against my wishes, he walked me to my door.  He sat down my bags and grabbed both my hands in his.  He toyed with my fingers for a while, keeping his gaze away from mine.

Finally, he looked up at me.  "What if he does something?" he asked through his bangs.

I pulled one hand from his and brushed them out of his eyes.  "I'll handle it.  I'll text you when I go to bed.  You can come over if you want," I shrugged.  I didn't really want him there tonight, but I felt like he would want to come and check on me.

He pulled me into a hug and kissed my forehead.  "I'll be waiting for your text.  I'll come to check on you when I get it."  He held me for a couple more moments and, with another kiss to the forehead, let go and walked away.  He turned around when he was at his front door and sent me a small wave.  I smiled and waved back.  I watched him enter his house then turned to my front door.  I put my hand on the cold metal of the door knob.  With a deep breath, I twisted it and entered.

"I thought you were gone for good," my father said.  He was smirking at me from the dining room table.  It was to the right of the front door. 

I closed the door behind me, but kept my eyes on him the whole time.  I heard someone chuckle from beside him and my eyes moved from him to another man.  He had greasy looking brown hair and was wearing a stained white t-shirt and holy jeans.  The room smelled heavily of alcohol.

"I was st-st-staying with a friend," I stammered, replacing my eyes on my father.

"Mark, I think it's time for you to go.  Go to your room, kid," he said, motioning to the stairs with his head.

I did as he said, lugging all my things with me.  I trudged up the stairs and listened to their muffled conversation.  They were making plans to hang out again.

I opened my door and dropped the things beside my bed.  Slowly, I began unpacking.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6...