Chapter Eighteen

Finding Life

Part 19 • Death

"Arden enjoys causing mischief. She's a demon. It's in her blood."

-Lucinda Anderson, The Angel

••••••••••••

I never thought of Lucinda as the type of person who lives in a mansion that looks eerily similar to a haunted house. Of course, Lucinda beds with Lucifer, which is why their mansion is in Zenith. The lawn in front of the mansion is covered in grass, patches of it dead; the garden, too, is mostly alive and full of flowers native to the AfterLife.

There are many amphitrites: golden flowers with thorn-filled stems.

Løv, whom I invited to join me, stands beside me, biting her lip.

"Something wrong?" I ask.

"I just haven't been here since," Løv says, "Since that day."

I remember what she's talking about. Lucinda invited us over because she heard that Løv and I were having marital problems. Since Lucinda has had many problems in her married life, which she has acknowledged, Lucinda thought it fit that she should give us advice.

Together, we decided that Løv and I should be divorced.

Instead of replying, I ring the doorbell. I hear the loud noise echo through out the space. Momentarily, the door opens to reveal Lucinda, a bright smile plastered onto her face.

"Oh!" Lucinda gasps, grabbing Løv and I into a hug.

When she lets go, she says, "I can't believe that you two are here! Come in-do come in."

Lucinda lifts up her peach gown, so not trip on it, and turns around. We follow her down the hallway and into the living room.

"Lucinda," Løv says as she sits down, "Have you ever thought about ditching the Victorian gowns?"

"Are these not in style anymore?" Lucinda asks, wide eyed.

Løv looks like she's about to faint. "I don't know if you're kidding or not but they are most definitely out of style!"

"Lucifer likes them," Lucinda says, innocently.

"Speaking of which," I say, "Is he at home?"

"No," Lucinda says, "But the twins are. Did I tell you two yet? I don't think I have. Lucifer and I have adopted twins named Arden and Elliott Anderson."

I smile. "That's great news."

Løv sighs. "I bet Lucifer is out with one of his mistresses. You have to stop doing what he wants you to do, Lucinda."

"Is this about my choice of clothes, Løv?" Lucinda asks. "I quite enjoy wearing these dresses."

If Løv could, this conversation would be all about a makeover for Lucinda.

"Lucinda, I know you met Lily in a dream," I say, "The twins appeared too."

Lucinda looks taken back. "Yes."

"Tell us why you did that," I say.

"The twins wanted to," Lucinda says.

"So you let them?" I ask, my voice approaching a scream, "Arden cut my wife with a knife! How dare you let that happen!"

"I'm sorry but Arden enjoys causing mischief," Lucinda says, "She's a demon. It's in her blood."

"God said that the twins aren't completely demonic," Løv says.