Chapter Forty-Two

Finding Life

Part 43 • Death

"If Arden was with me, where was Lily?"

—Death, Master of the AfterLife

••••••••••••••••

"I would love to know why you asked for a meeting with me," Owen says, "I don't normally do this, Death."

"I'm glad you have enough respect for me to change that."

Owen sighs. "What do you need to tell me?"

"I never said I had to tell you anything," I answer.

Owen raises an eyebrow.

"I want answers."

"Okay," Owen says, "Ask away."

"Is Lily pregnant?" I ask.

"Yes."

"With my child?"

"I believe so."

We're having a baby. I'm having a baby with Lily. A child. An existence.

"Who kidnapped Irene? It wasn't Lily, right?" I ask.

"How did you figure it out?" Owen says.

I don't answer. I have a feeling Ashton's been helping me out more than he should have.

"Yes. You're correct. Arden Anderson kidnapped Irene," Owen says.

"Do you still think I abused Irene?"

"No," Owen says, "Elliott Anderson confessed to abusing Irene. However, I can't let you out of jail until Irene lifts the charges against you."

"Then tell Irene I'm innocent!" I scream.

"I believe your wife beat me to it," Owen says, "Lily was here earlier today and ran out of my office, most likely to see Irene."

"Doesn't Irene think that Lily kidnapped–"

"I'm sure Lily can handle herself, Death," Owen says.

Never did I expect my first few months with Lily to be like this. We made a deal not too long ago and I wonder if Lily will want to stay after all this. I don't blame her if she chooses to leave. I was supposed to make her two months in the AfterLife grand, but instead I wound up in jail and she forced to save me.

Nonetheless, Lily is pregnant. Will she choose to leave with our child? Or will she stay for the baby's stake? Maybe she thinks that this life isn't good for a child.

I snap out of it. "If Arden was with me, where was Lily?"

"She was kidnapped by Lucifer," Owen says, "I don't want to get into specifics, Death, but know that she was safe there and she is safe here."

I feel the urge to scream, but I bite my the inside of my cheek instead to control myself. Lily's okay. She's fine.

"Where's Lucifer?" I ask. "The twins weren't working alone. Obviosuly Lucifer is the mastermind."

"We've been searching everywhere for him," Owen says, "We checked Dark Falls, Zenith, his daughters' and his mistresses' homes. We're still looking for him, but we did find Lucinda. She was in the western part of the City of Angels, where God's Angels live."