Part XX

When I opened my eyes something was different. The sun shone through the blinds and Josh was still sleeping next to me, but my body was burning. What happened? It hurt to move my arms, and my back and stomach throbbed. Then I remembered the IV. I painfully turned my neck towards the bag of fluid. Empty. No one changed it. And I was feeling worse than when the man still had me captive. I wanted to push the call button but everything hurt too much. I thought about waking Josh up but he looked too peaceful and he was tired. I knew I could sit there for a while longer and hopefully someone would come check on me.

Five minutes passed. I can do this.

Another five. Keep it up. Come on.

Ten more minutes passed before someone showed up. They asked me how I was doing. Calmly I told a different nurse than the one before that I was in a lot of pain. She said she would be right back. But she never came. Another ten minutes went by and I contemplated waking Josh up. I moved my elbow towards him; he stirred but didn't wake up. Again I tried, this time he shifted rocking the bed, and putting his arm around me. The pressure of his arm made a jagged moan escape my throat. His eyes fluttered open and I could tell he saw the pain in my eyes. Carefully he got up ad told me he would be right back. Less than a minute later a nurse came through the door with another bag and some sort of shot. Josh followed her. "Sorry sweetie, I completely forgot about you." She said sweetly. "That's okay." I muttered through gritted teeth. After everything was hooked up Josh asked me how long I was waiting. "I don't know." I replied. "Please don't tell me it was long." He pleaded. "It wasn't." "Simoya." "It wasn't, I swear. Don't worry the stuff is starting to work now." I lied. It took another ten minutes for the IV to start up again.