Part XXIX

The next morning I was up and running. I am already showered and dressed and it is nine. A sleepy Josh comes down the stairs rubbing his eyes. “What time is it?” I laugh. “It’s nine in the morning.” I say as I finish making the scrambled eggs. “Why are you up so early!?” He exclaims. I shrug and turn off the stove top. I reach for the last two plates in the cabinet but even on my toes my fingers don’t even brush the top shelf. Josh chuckles and strolls over to me, hands me the plates and plants a kiss on my cheek. “Good morning, amazing sex demon.” He whispers into my ear and draws back with sly smirk on his face. I avert my eyes and blush. “Shut up.” I let out softly as I turn back to the stove and place scrambled eggs on both plates. “Shut up?” Josh questions. “Why? You were amazing last night. Just… wow. Everything was perfect. Just. Perfect.” He finishes with a smile.

My back was to him and I couldn’t get rid of the stupid blush that was on my cheeks. When the toaster pops I grabbed the bread with quick fingers and butter them. “Do you want jelly?” I say shakily. I feel him move towards me and place his hands on my shoulders. “No, that’s fine. Are you okay?” “Yes, of course I am. Why wouldn’t I be?” I say quickly as I turn around to face him gritting my teeth. I still feel my cheeks burning red when Josh’s hand comes up to cup my face. He brings my face up so I look at him. “Hey, it’s okay, I get it. You don’t like talking about it, you just need to tell me to stop. Okay? Simoya, you won’t hurt my feelings.” Josh says with a dazzling smile. I give him a small nod and grin back at him. “Come on, you must be hungry.” I state. “Yeah, for you.” Josh whispers as his lips softly cover mine. I notice he gets a bit carried away when his hands started wandering, so I lightly push him away. “Sorry, I just…” “It’s alright. Do you want to have breakfast and then go to the park?” I smile. “Sure, sounds great.” Josh answers.

We both finish and Josh goes to take a shower. I wash all the dishes, cups and utensils and put them in the dishwasher which I haven’t used in long while. I walk up to my room and apply some liner and mascara then dry my hair. I check myself in the mirror; it’s not too warm out for skinny jeans and a simple black tee, but just to make sure I pull my soft hair up into a loose pony tail which allows my bangs to fall out. I hear the water turn off in the bathroom, so walk out of my room and down the stairs. Five minutes later Josh strolls down the steps. He is wearing his favorite blue jeans and black tee. Sounds familiar. “Ready to go?” He says rubbing his hair with a towel. “Mhm. Let me fix your hair.” “It’s fine don’t worry about it.” “No, come on. Sit on the couch I’ll be right back.” I call as I run up the stairs. I bring down the hair gel and a rattail comb. “Face me.” I say as sit on my knees next to Josh. He turns his torso towards me and I begin combing out his hair. After I comb it out I apply some gel to my fingers and run them through his hair. Josh watches me as I work to make it perfect. “Alright, done.” He walks to the bathroom and I follow him. The edges of his lips tilt up into a smile. “Do you like it?” “Of course. Now, come on lets go.”

We walk out the door and I lock it behind me and tuck the key away in my pocket. Josh takes my hand in his as we reach the sidewalk. We turn the corner and are off to the park. Along the way we just chat about random topics and ask silly questions. “What do you want for your birthday?” Josh asks after a long silence. I think about it for a minute and answer him. “I want to be happy. Like I am now.” I say with a small smile. “Okay. You know, you’ll be twenty, which is a big jump from the teens. I mean you, you know how every birthday so far you’ve kind of felt the same? Well it really does change after this one. The twenties are the best. I should know.” Josh finishes. “It’s in like two weeks, you know? Your birthday that is.” I laugh. “It seems you are more interested in my birthday than I am.” I poke his belly. “It’s just, I know exactly what I’m getting you.” He says shyly. “Oh, and what is that?” I ask knowing he won’t give it up. “Yeah, like I’m going to tell you.” I roll my eyes at him.

We reach the park and sit under a tree with our backs to the trunk and our fingers still intertwined. I lean my head back and close my eyes to take in the last of the soft summer breeze. I can smell the grass and trees and hear the bird’s wings beat against the air. I take a break from smells and sounds of nature and open my eyes to see Josh looking at me with his huge crystal eyes. I can’t help but smile at him and he grins back. “What?” I ask. “Nothing.” He says. “Okay.” I let out as my head leans back again. This time my ears pick up the sound of leaves rustling and a swing set creaking. Children are laughing in the distance, I can hear their little feet pound the ground as they chase each other around. I feel Josh’s hand leave mine and next is a scratching sound. I open my eyes to see him standing facing the tree and digging at it with something. “What are you doing? Stop ruining the tree.” I say standing up. “Wait, don’t look at it yet.” He says putting his hand over my eyes. “Go back to daydreaming about me and I’ll let you see it in a bit.” “Oh, hush up you.” I say as I turn my back to him. I give Josh another minute and become impatient. “Come on, Josh! What is it?!” I exclaim. “Okay, okay. Turn around.” I do as I’m told and look at the tree. On the bark Josh carved a heart, I take a closer look at it and notice his initials with mine inside the heart separated by a plus sign. Looking over at Josh I notice him blushing. That’s odd, he never seems to be embarrassed about anything. “I know, I know. It’s cheesy.” He says looking back at the tree. “It’s perfect. Just like you.” I say wrapping my arms around his torso in a hug.