Hidden

"Captain. A word." Fury called as he approached Steve in the Triskelion lobby. The captain turned towards him.

"Director Fury. What can I do for you?"

"A new nuclear threat has arisen that needs to be squashed."

"You have my attention."

"The bomb holder, an Alleck Grimshaw, has threatened that within the next three months, he will launch a missile on Washington. Now, a noted trait of his is that he is a notorious playboy, always seeking a new bunny. Next Thursday he is hosting a party at his Bulgaria mansion. Accompany a female to the party so she may distract him while you steal the codes and coordinates."

"Ok. I will take Hill with me. She's a great misleader."

"Captain, you know which female I want you to take."

Steve's face turned serious. "I told you. I don't know where she is."

"Captain, I am offended you think my intelligence is so low. I believe you do know where she is. I believe you have contact with her."

"I don't. No one has heard from her since-"

"Since she abandoned this organization?"

"She didn't abandon. She retired."

"Deserting an active mission and sever all forms of contact isn't retiring in my eye. Her being an agent here was the only thing keeping me from wrapping a noose around her neck. Or worse, handing her back to the Russians after she pledged allegiance to us."

Steve semi-glared at him. Fury stepped forward so he was right up in Steve's face.

"You know her whereabouts. So tell me."

Steve sighed. "Director, intimidate me, threaten me or trick me all you want, it's a wasted effort. I haven't seen or heard from Natasha Romanoff in two months. Barton hasn't. Stark hasn't. Banner, Thor, Hill, Sitwell, anyone. Natasha Romanoff has vanished and not one person knows where. Understand? And if persist on badgering me wi this, perhaps I'll take a page out of her book and walk."

Fury relented and stepped away. "Fine. Have Hill briefed and return here in one week for deployment. But I swear, the moment I see Natasha Romanoff, she'll be in handcuffs faster than you'd be able to blink. I promise you that." and with that he left. Steve turned away and walked out the front door of the building.

Steve arrived at his Manhattan apartment a half hour later. It was a spacious accommodation. He had three whole floors to himself that contained a massive kitchen, a personal gym and an indoor pool. He also boasted an expanded balcony that held a big garden full of vegetables and various plants. The balcony was hidden thanks to a cloaking mechanism that Steve requested Tony add citing privacy issues. The whole stone structure was invisible to everyone and appeared non existent, with the side looking like the rest of the building, flat and with a window. Should you be inside, you'd be able to stand on it and look down at the bustling Manhattan street without being seen.

Steve entered the apartment and went into the kitchen. He poured a glass of whiskey and with one swig downed the entire glass. He sighed and looked out towards the balcony, where someone wearing a straw bonnet was knelt, tending to a tomato vine. He smiled to himself slightly and walked out onto the balcony.

"I see you're wearing the bonnet I bought you."

Natasha turned and smiled at him. "I like it. It's cute."

Steve nodded. She did look adorable with it on.

"Cloak is on, right?"

"As it always is." she replied.

"Good. Just making sure. I get a bit paranoid leaving you alone and you come out onto the balcony and getting seen by Fury's satellites."

"I take it he asked about me again."

"Yup. Said if he ever found you, that he'd have you handcuffed before I could even blink."

She chuckled. "That's implying he'd be able to handcuff me. Which also implies he'd could best me in a fight, which is...just hilarious to think about."

Steve smiled as he knelt down and put his hands under her pits and lifted her up, her back to him.

"Do you ever regret it though? Just up and leaving?"

"No, I don't. I had my fill of bloodshed. What they were asking of me was too much."

Steve nodded as he removed his hands from her. She turned to face him.

"Do you ever regret keeping me?"

"Not at all. Just because you quit SHIELD, doesn't mean you had to quit us."

He wrapped his arms around her waist.

"You're my girlfriend. My fugitive girlfriend."

She chuckled.

"I'd do anything to keep you safe. And away from Fury."

She beamed and kissed him. He slowly removed the bonnet from her head, revealing her short fiery curls.

"Your green thumb is certainly showing." he complimented after they broke the kiss. She turned to face the aforementioned garden.

"My tomatoes are flourishing. I was thinking of picking some. Putting them in a sale for dinner or something. What do you think?"

"I was going to make chicken Parmesan. Perhaps a salad would compliment it."

"Sounds excellent." she replied. He looped his arm with her's.

"Let's go inside."

She rested her head on his arm as they walked back into the apartment.

CTO.