Chapter 1

It was New Year's Eve and Maxie was sitting at home alone watching the ball drop after convincing Ellie to go off and meet Spinelli on the hospital roof. Maxie was sitting there lost in thought when out of nowhere she starts to hear a scratching sound coming from the door.

Maxie turns off the TV and walks to the door to see where the sound is coming from. Maxie opens the door to be met with a dog at her door.

"Uh, I'm sorry. We're fresh out of biscuits. Where's your person?"

Maxie walks out into the hallway and says, "Excuse me! Did somebody lose a puppy?!"

The puppy wanders into Maxie's apartment and jumps on her couch.

Maxie turns around and walks through the doorway and says, "Hello?! Hey, you, with four legs you don't live here. So scoot, all right? Come on. Let's go."

Maxie trips over the rug in the living room and she falls.

"Ohh! Ohh! Ow! Ow. Well, that didn't work out well."

Maxie then gets a sharp pain.

"Oh! That can't be good."

Maxie then gets up and rushes to the hospital. Maxie gets to General Hospital and sees Britt and says, "Oh, Dr. Westbourne, I'm so glad you're still here. I need to talk to you. "

Britt is at the elevator on the phone when she says, "No, I'm sorry. You're gonna have to talk to the desk nurse."

Maxie looks at her and says, "Please, it's an emergency."

Britt says into her cellphone, "Um, another patient of mine came in. Oh, no, no, no. It's fine. I'm just gonna be a couple minutes late.

Britt hangs up the phone and turns to Maxie and says, "Hello? What is it this time, Maxie?"

"I fell, and it hurts. I just need for you to make sure the baby's okay."

Maxie is sitting in the exam room waiting for Britt to return and she looks up at the clock.

Maxie sighs and says, "Midnight. Great. Can't believe I'm spending my New Year's Eve in a hospital."

Britt enters back into the exam room and looks at Maxie with a sad look on her face.

Maxie jumps down off of the exam room table and says, "Dr. Westbourne, I'm so sorry I bothered you. I'm just gonna change, and then I have a dog at home I need to go throw out. I'm sorry. I'm sure you have New Year's plans. Just tell me where to sign, and I will get out of your hair."

"We first need to talk about your condition." Britt says.

"Condition? It was just another false alarm, right?"

"Maxie, I'm very sorry. You've had a miscarriage."

Maxie couldn't believe the words that she was hearing. Dante and Lulu's baby was gone no there had to be some kind of mistake.

"A miscarriage? No, that's impossible. I'm still pregnant. Tell me that I'm still pregnant."

"Maxie, I can't. You lost the baby."

Maxie looks at Britt and says, "I don't understand. It worked. The...embryo implanted, and I was pregnant, and now I'm not? It's just gone?"

"These things sometimes happen. I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry for me. It wasn't my baby."

Britt leaves and Maxie gets dressed and sits on the hospital bed devastated by the news that she had just received.