Chapter 38

It has been a week since the whole ordeal had happened with Dante and Lulu and Nathan and Maxie were working together to figure out how to keep Georgie.

Nathan comes into the living room after putting Georgie down for her naps and says, "Well, Georgie is finally down for her nap. She put up a bit of a fight but I finally got her down."

Maxie looks at him and says, "Diane's on her way. She wants to discuss how we can keep Georgie."

After a few minutes Maxie and Nathan hear a knock at the door.

Maxie walks over to the door and answers it.

Maxie welcomes Diane in and says, "Diane, I am so glad you're here. You are just the lawyer we need to fix this."

Diane comes and says, "Well, thank you for that vote of confidence, but we do have..."

Maxie cuts her off and says, "It's simple, really. Dante and Lulu do not want us to have our baby and they are trying to take her away from us."

Nathan looks at Maxie and says, "Simple" may be an overstatement. We did make  them believe that she was theirs and that they could keep her."

"We didn't want to break their hearts." Maxie says.

"Yeah, we may have acted selfish but it was all in an attempt to spare their feelings." Nathan says.

Maxie then says, "But we couldn't live with it. We love our daughter, and we were hoping that they would not want her when they realized she was ours."

"Yeah, but, instead, they presented us with legal papers." Nathan says.

Maxie looks at Diane and says, "They want to adopt our baby."

Diane looks at them both and says, "Stop. Time out. Time out, sports fans. I understand that this has been extremely stressful for the both of you, but you both have to relax. You are in good hands now. I have done my research, and I'm aware of the situation."

Nathan looks at her and says, "And?"

Diane looks at them both and says, "This case should be easy. I am Diane Miller you are in the best hands for this type of case."

Maxie looks at Diane and says, "It looks good for us?"

"You're saying that, despite the contract that Maxie signed, we'll still be able to keep our daughter?" Nathan says.

Diane takes a seat on the couch and says, "I'm saying that the terms of the contract are very clear. The baby that Maxie promised to give Dante and Lulu was created from their embryo."

Maxie then says, "So that's it. Dante and Lulu don't have a right to our little girl. They have to let us keep her."

Nathan looks at Diane and says, "But what are our legal options? I mean, how can we make them leave our daughter here and let us raise her?

"It's pretty clear that Dante and Lulu are not gonna give up this baby without a fight." Nathan says.

Nathan then says, "Well you are the lawyer so, what would you advise?"

"You know, it's not normally my practice to be judgmental about my clients, but I consider you a friend, Detective West. You are one of the good guys and I know that you can be caring, considerate, sensitive, loyal to a fault, and I think that you are in for a world of hurt." Diane says.

Nathan looks at her and says, "Could you be more specific? How am I in for a world of hurt?"

Diane looks at him and says, "Well, this is technically a legal matter, but there has never been a law written or a court convened that can adequately describe what it means to love a child. I have seen people wreck themselves over parental rights. I've seen scorched earth between formerly rational individuals. Case in point... Carly and Jax nearly dismantled each other over Josslyn. And this from two people who said they wanted an amicable divorce."