Chapter 3

It had been two weeks since Maxie had miscarried Dante and Lulu's baby and they were still out trying to find Luke so Maxie came up with the perfect plan.

Maxie was sitting on a bed at General Hospital while talking on the phone with Lulu.

"Lulu don't worry about me I'm fine."

"Are you sure? How's the baby? Can you feel any kicking?"

"I think it's a little too soon for that. How's your dad? Have you found him?"

"The American consulate finally got us permission to visit the prison, but people here aren't saying anything. It's like my dad's disappeared."

"Well, stop worrying about me and concentrate on finding your dad. I'll see you when you get back."

"But it could be a few more days. Are you sure that you're gonna be okay?" Lulu says.

"Yes. I've barely moved off the couch."

"I just feel bad being so far away from you and the baby."

Dr. Westbourne walks into the exam room.

Maxie sees Britt and says, "I got to go. My mom's on the other line."

"Okay. I'm gonna call you later."

Maxie hangs up the phone.

Britt turns to Maxie and says, "How did Dante and Lulu take the news about the miscarriage?"

Maxie then says, "They don't know. I couldn't tell them that I'm not carrying their baby anymore. I tried to tell them that I had a miscarriage. I even invited them over to my apartment and sat them down."

Britt looks at Maxie and says, "What stopped you?"

"Fate. I'm not kidding. It's like the cosmos were saying, "Maxie, shut up," so I took it as a sign."

Britt looks at Maxie confused and says, "Of what?"

"That I shouldn't tell them. Then Dante and Lulu got a call, and now they're out of the country, looking for her dad."

"Well, you're gonna have to tell them about the miscarriage as soon as they get back." Britt says.

Maxie then says, "Maybe not. Ellie Trout told me there are still two embryos left."

Britt shakes her head and says, "Yes. That's standard practice, just in case the couple wants to try again."

Maxie turns towards Britt and says, "Okay. So, couldn't you just, like, slip me another one and then by the time Dante and Lulu are back, I'm pregnant again and they never know I lost the first baby? Dante and Lulu have already been through so much trying to have a family. Why tell them that I lost the baby if we don't have to?"

Britt looks at Maxie and says, "Maxie, I can't withhold that kind of information."

"Okay, but they can still have the baby that they want and they don't have to blame me for the first miscarriage." Maxie says.

"I told you there's no way to pinpoint a cause. The embryo may not have been viable." Britt says.

"Or it's because I fell chasing that dog."

"It's very unlikely." Britt says.

"If Dante and Lulu find out, it could ruin our friendship, and they might not trust me enough to try again. Please, Dr. Westbourne? Having a child means everything to them, and I don't want to let them down. Just make me pregnant again."

Doctor Westbourne has Maxie lie back on the bed and she begins to draw her blood.

"Thank you." Maxie says.