Chapter 24

Nathan returns home from the station to see that Maxie isn't home from work yet. Nathan goes to sit down on the couch as he waits for Maxie when there is a knock on the door.

Nathan gets up to answer the door and is surprised to see that it is Ellie Trout at the door.

"Ellie well this a surprise. Maxie isn't here if that is who you are looking for." Nathan says.

"Actually Detective West I am here to see you there is something of the upmost importance that I have to tell you." Ellie says.

"Well come on in Ellie." Nathan says.

Ellie comes in and looks at Nathan and says, "I just want to start off by saying that I am so sorry that I haven't told you this sooner and to be completely honest I thought Maxie would have cracked and told you by now. But Damien and I decided that we can't keep this secret any longer and that you deserve to know the truth."

"Ellie what do you know about Maxie?" Nathan asks.

"Detective West, Maxie has been keeping a secret from you." Ellie says.

"Okay first Ellie you can call me Nathan. And what do you mean Maxie is keeping a secret from me?" Nathan says.

"Maxie has been keeping this secret from you for months now and you deserve to know the truth before things go any further with the two of you. When I do tell you this just keep in mind that Maxie's heart was in the right place." Ellie says.

"I saw you and Maxie talking yesterday after her appointment with Doctor Chu. I finally thought Maxie was going to tell you the truth but then you got called away to the station and she still didn't tell you the truth, so I had a discussion with Damien and we both decided that it would be best to tell you since it seems Maxie is never going to tell you the truth." Ellie says.

Nathan looks at Ellie and says, "But that is the thing Maxie did tell me what she needed to tell me she said that she loved me and I said it back and then she said she had something else to tell me but I figured out that she just wanted to tell me the baby's gender."

Ellie then says, "But... Nathan, that's not the truth. It's something much bigger than that and it has to do with Maxie and that baby she is carrying.

"Do you care to explain that because I am confused?" Nathan says.

Ellie looks at Nathan and says, "Maxie's been lying to you... about the baby."

"If you're talking about the miscarriage and what happened after, I'm not sure there's anything left to say about that. Yeah, it's true. She didn't tell me herself, but...I know that she got pregnant again by implanting one of Dante and Lulu's other embryos. I admit what she did was wrong and sneaky but she just didn't want to cause unnecessary pain to Dante and Lulu." Nathan says.

"Right, I-I know. Nathan, that's not exactly what happened. I have to tell you the truth about the baby." Ellie says.

Nathan then says, "Look Ellie I know that I am Maxie's boyfriend but don't you think that you should be having this conversation with Dante and Lulu. I still don't see how Dante and Lulu's baby has anything to do with me."

"That's just it, Nathan. That little girl Maxie is carrying isn't Dante and Lulu's daughter. She's yours." Ellie says.

Nathan looks at her shocked and says, "I-I'm sorry. What?"

Ellie takes a deep breath and says, "She's...yours. That baby is...yours."

"Mine? No, she isn't." Nathan says.

"Yes, she is. That little girl that you have come to love and who you have felt move and kick in Maxie's stomach is yours. Yours and Maxie's." Ellie says.