Chapter 21

Lulu is sitting at home when she hears a knock on the door.

Lulu gets up to answers the door and smiles when she sees Maxie.

Lulu then says, "I'm so glad you came over. It feels like ages since we've been alone together."

Maxie comes in and says, "Enough of that. Tell me I smell Chinese food."

Lulu laughs and then says, "Spare ribs, dumplings, the works."

Maxie says, "Oh, well, move aside. I'm eating for two, and I'm enjoying it."

Maxie walks over to the couch and takes a seat.

Lulu walks over to the couch and says, "It's quite the change from the girl who lived four months on black coffee and protein bars."

Maxie looks at Lulu and says, "Priorities, Lulu. I want to make sure this baby comes out healthy. And it's a good thing I feel that way, because look at how huge I'm getting."

Lulu takes a seat and says, "You look wonderful. Plus don't worry because I am right there with you I swear I didn't want to believe that I actually was carrying a child but my stomach keeps getting bigger and that is what makes it real. Well that and the fact that this baby keep kicking me in the ribs. Maxie you are literally glowing. I know that's a cliché, but in your case, it's true."

Maxie groans while looking down at her stomach and says, "I had no idea a pregnancy was gonna be like...this."

Lulu places her hand on Maxie's stomach and says, "Oh. Hi. Little widget is gonna be here soon. I can't wait to see if it looks like a Spencer or a Falconeri. Or maybe we will get lucky and one baby will look like a Spencer and the other will look like a Falconeri."

Maxie and Lulu begin eating the Chinese food takeout.

After about 30 minutes both pregnant women are laid out on the couch with their hands on their very full stomachs.

Lulu looks at Maxie and says, "Is there anymore sweet-and-sour chicken left?"

Maxie begins to laugh and says, "I'm sorry. I think there's only a pineapple chunk."

Lulu then says, "Okay, I have to order more for Dante. He's gonna be starving when he gets home."

Maxie then says, "When's that gonna be?"

"I don't know. Could be 10 minutes. Could be all night. He got a call that there was a shooting. He ran out without getting the details." Lulu says.

Maxie looks at her and says, "Yeah I know what you mean Nathan got that same call and he ran out of the door so quick I couldn't even ask him what time he was going to be home."

Lulu smiles and says, "So I know I have been a little out of the loop lately but what is going on between you and Nathan? You two seem to be really close for roommates. What is going on with the two of you Maxie?"

Maxie then says, "Well if you must know Nathan and I are dating we became official the night of the Nurse's Ball. He is amazing Lulu I actually can see myself having a real future with him. I feel like this is my first mature relationship Lulu and he is amazing about this whole pregnancy thing."

"I knew it! I told Dante that I saw something special between you and Nathan and know you two are actually together that is amazing. Maxie the fact that you are already planning a future with Nathan is great I think you may actually be in love with him. And it's an added bonus that he is supportive of this pregnancy I mean I know that even when I'm not around someone is taking care of both you and the baby." Lulu says.

Lulu looks at Maxie and says, "Okay now that I am all caught up on you love life. Tell me what does your fortune say?"

Maxie opens her cookie and looks at it and says, "Um... nothing."

Lulu then says, "What? Can't say nothing. Let me see."

Lulu grabs Maxie's fortune and says, "Soon the truth will come out."

"The truth. What does that mean?" Lulu asks.

Maxie says, "I don't know. That's why I said nothing. Um, what does yours say?"

"Uh, let's see. "Something of yours may be lost to you forever." Lulu says.

Maxie hold her stomach and sits up while saying, "Oh, my God."

Lulu says, "Okay, that is a really depressing fortune. That's weird, right?"

"Not that weird. I think I know what it means." Maxie says.

Lulu sits up and says, "Something of mine might be lost to me forever. What?"

Maxie picks up her purse and says, "Well, your fortune said something may be lost to you forever, the operative word being "may," so..."

Maxie pulls a pair of red pumps out of her purse and says, "Here you go."

Lulu gets excited and says, "My red shoes!"

"Yeah, the ones that you mentioned to me when you got your memory back. I borrowed those from you on Memorial Day over a year ago." Maxie says.

"You know I was just teasing you. You love these shoes. You don't have to do this." Lulu says.

Maxie then says, "I wanted to. I'm trying to be a better friend to you. I felt like I might have lost you forever."

Lulu looks at her and says, "It's really sweet, Maxie."

"Besides, they're so 2012." Maxie says.

Lulu hugs the shoes and says, "Oh! Well, I still love them."

Maxie laughs and says, "If you want to know the truth, my feet are getting so swollen, I can almost not wear heels anymore."

Lulu: Oh, Maxie trust me I am right there with you. Oh, I guess we know what the cookie meant about the truth coming out."

Maxie let's out a nervous laugh and says, "Yeah."