Chapter 20

Maxie is at General Hospital she walks up to Patrick and clears her throat and says, "I think we can agree that I'm the selfish one in our extended family. I mean, I hold the monopoly on making stupid, self-destructive decisions, so I have to ask...what are you thinking?"

Patrick looks at Maxie and says, "Well, I'm thinking you're in the ER in an agitated state. Is everything okay?"

"Oh, I have an appointment with my new O.B. Since Britt told me she's taking medical leave and moving in with you." Maxie says.

"That's actually not what happened." Patrick says.

Maxie cuts him off and says, "Yes, fine, she's carrying your child, but have the baby rabies made you crazy, too? You can't put that monster next to Emma."

Patrick looks at her and says, "I didn't."

Maxie then says, "You didn't."

"No, I didn't. She's not moving in with me. She moved in with Sabrina." Patrick says and then he walks to the nurse's station.

Maxie follows Patrick and says, "How could you sic Britt on poor, defenseless Sabrina?"

Patrick turns to Maxie and says, "Okay, Sabrina is not defenseless."

"For someone who was such a player back in the day, you really are clueless about women." Maxie says.

"I never said I knew what I was doing." Patrick says as he begins walking away.

Maxie grabs Patrick's arm and says, "Let me lay it out for you, okay? Sabrina seems like a kind, loyal individual, who's nobly standing by you, even though you stupidly and let's be honest, recklessly impregnated Dr. Evil."

Patrick looks at Maxie surprised and says, "Whoa. Dr. Evil?"

"The Britch? Wicked witch of the Westbourne? The list goes on." Maxie says.

"Really?" Patrick says surprised.

"And the crazy part is, those are names are accurate. The woman is diabolical." Maxie says.

Patrick then says, "Okay, hold on a second, Maxie. Now, look, Britt is going through a health crisis right now. Somebody had to make sure that her and the baby are okay. My first impulse was to have her move in with me."

Maxie gets upset and says, "Unbelievable! That woman can't be in proximity with Emma."

Patrick then says, "I know that. And Sabrina agreed, which is why she's taking one for the team. Look, I'm not crazy about this situation, but we're gonna give it a shot. And if it doesn't work, then we'll... I don't know, but we'll try something else."

"I hope you know how lucky you are. I can count on one finger the amount of women who would let their boyfriend's crazy ex move into their home." Maxie says.

Patrick looks at Maxie and says, "I know how lucky I am to have Sabrina."

"You know, I didn't think anyone would be good enough for you after Robin, but Sabrina might just come close, and I think Robin might even approve, so just... don't mess it up, okay?" Maxie says.

Patrick looks at Maxie and says, "I'll do my damnedest. Come here."

Patrick pulls Maxie into a hug.

"And speaking of Robin's approval... she would be very proud of what you're doing for Dante and Lulu. I can't think of anything more selfless." Patrick says when they pull away from their hug.

Maxie starts walking away and says, "Don't give me too much credit. It's almost always a mistake. The last thing I am is a model of benevolence."

Patrick follows her and says, "Well, I don't know about that. I think you've changed. You're an amazing person."