Chapter 22

Maxie is in the living room of her apartment and she puts on some piano classical music.

Maxie feels the baby kick and says, "Oh. You like that song, don't you, baby? Was that a little pirouette? 'Cause it felt like it."

Maxie gasps and says, "Ooh. Why don't we ease up with the slow dance? It's one thing to dance before you can walk, but to dance before you're born... I guess I have to respect your ambition. You are Mommy's tiny dancer.

Maxie turns around and sees Spinelli standing in her doorway and says, "Oh."

Spinelli smiles at Maxie and says, "You're becoming attached to the baby, aren't you?"

"Of course, I'm attached to this baby. I'm carrying it inside of me. It's literally attached to me. Do you have some sort of problem with that?: Maxie says.

Spinelli then says, "Of course not."

They hear a knock on the door.

Maxie walks to the door and says, "You know, Spinelli, Ellie's doesn't live here anymore, so, why are you here?"

Maxie opens the door to Mac.

Mac smiles and says, "Hi, Maxie."

Maxie looks at him and says, "Where's Mom? "

Mac then says, "Felicia's running late, so I thought I'd come over..."

Maxie cuts him off and says, "Oh, so, if the minister's running late or the caterer or the florist, you're just gonna be okay with that? I don't think so."

Mac looks at her confused and says, "Maxie, what's wrong?"

Maxie walks over to her couch and grabs some folders and says, "Since Mom couldn't be bothered to show up, could you please give her this? I made one for each of you. Pay close attention to the timetable on page three."

Maxie walks Mac towards the door.

Mac turns to Maxie and says, "Maxie, what's going on? This tantrum you're having has nothing to do with the wedding. Are you okay? Is our baby okay?"

"This baby is not ours, okay? It actually has nothing to do with either of us. Now, do you want to get married or not?" Maxie says.

Mac looks at her and says, "Of course."

Maxie then opens her door and says, "Great. You know what you need to do. Now do it."

Mac says, "Listen, you know, when you calm down, we're gonna talk about this."

Maxie slams the door in his face.

Maxie turns around to see that Spinelli is giving her a look.

"What?" Maxie says.

Maxie walks over to her couch and begins to work on details for Mac and Felicia's wedding.

Spinelli then says, "I'm sorry if I upset you earlier."

"You didn't." Maxie says looking through the notebook in front of her.

Spinelli takes a seat next to her and says, "I think I did."

Maxie then says, "Well, you are wrong."

"Maxie, when I came in, you were...you were swaying and cooing sweetly with the baby, but after I spoke, you became snappish with me and you were downright mean to Mac." Spinelli says.

"Well, he'll get over it, and so should you." Maxie says as she throws her notebook on the table and gets up from the couch.

"Look, I just want to say that I understand how difficult this must be. This baby started as a favor to two beloved friends, but now it's no longer just an idea. I mean, he or she is a child that you feel growing, moving inside of you. I mean, you've identified which music they respond to. Every day, the child becomes more and more real, as does the fact that in three short months, you'll have to hand that child over to Dante and Lulu." Spinelli says.