Chapter 33

Nathan looks at Madeline and says, "What are you doing here?"

Madeline then says, "I need to speak to Dante and Lulu. There's something they need to know."

Dante looks at Nathan and says, "Who the hell is this man? And why did she call you James?"

Nathan looks at Dante and says, "This is my mother, Madeline Reeves and she called me James because that was name before I legally changed it and joined the police force against her wishes."

Dante then looks at Madeline and says, "Yeah. Well I know you probably want to catch up with your son, but we're kind of in the middle of something here."

Madeline then says, "And I wouldn't interrupt if it wasn't absolutely necessary. It's about the baby."

Nathan then says, "Mother this a private time for Dante and Lulu with their families. You have no business here."

"Oh, I have business here, James. Not as much as you, obviously." Madeline says.

Dante then says, "Okay, I'd like to know what that means?"

Lulu then says, "I'd like to know that, too."

Madeline then says, "You know, if you all would just let me speak, I could have been done and gone by now."

"Fine. Say what you have to say and get it over with." Dante says.

Nathan then says, "I'm sorry, Dante, but I must step in and stop this."

Madeline then says, "Oh James, I bet you do want to stop all of this."

Dante then says, "Come on lady what's going on you show up here unannounced and from what you son says I take it you're not too happy with the way he is living his life, so what you are you here to try to have us talk to him because I think your son is a pretty great guy and he is one of the most loyal friends I have ever had. I think he has made a pretty good life for himself as a cop."

Madeline then says, "No. No, no... that's not why I'm here even though I would be thrilled to have James not be a cop anymore I lost that argument long ago. I'm trying to right a wrong."

"Look, this isn't about Nathan, okay? It's about your baby." Madeline says.

"Well what do you want to tell us about our baby?" Lulu asks.

Madeline looks at Lulu and says," The baby...isn't yours. She's Maxie's."

Lulu then says, "Madeline, you're confused."

"No, I'm not." Madeline says.

Lulu then says, "I appreciate your concern, but Maxie may have carried our daughter for us, but our daughter who we are naming Connie by the way is definitely our flesh and blood."

Madeline looks at her and says, "No. I know Maxie was your surrogate, but this baby isn't your flesh and blood. She's Maxie's."

"That doesn't make any sense. Where would you get an idea like that?" Lulu says.

Madeline looks up and says, "Well from James of course."

Nathan looks at his mother and says, "Mother I think you were confused about what I told you about Maxie's pregnancy."

"Now James I think I remember very well the conversation we had back in Manhattan a couple of months ago." Madeline says.

"So, what you're saying is Nathan told you that Maxie was Connie's biological mother?" Dante says.