Chapter 31

In the operating room Maxie's machines start to beep while she loses consciousness.

Dr. Chu looks over at the machines and says, Oh no, she's crashing.

The nurse looks at the monitor and tells the doctor, "B.P.'s dropping. Heart rate's to 180 and rising.

"She's hemorrhaging. We're losing her." Doctor Chu tells the nurse.

"Hello? Hello?" Maxie shouts while trying to get the doctors and nurses attention.

As the doctors and nurses walk past her she says, "Rude much? Um, not to be demanding, but couldn't I at least get a wheelchair? I did just have my uterus cut open. Or am I supposed to cartwheel to recovery?"

Maxie looks over to the body that they are working on and says, "I guess this girl needs more attention than me. Wait a minute. She looks kind of familiar. Was she in the last issue of crimson?"

Maxie looks over at the persons face and says, "Oh, my God. That's me."

"Wh-what's going on? Okay, something freaky is happening, because I'm standing here, but I'm also on the table, too. Which I'm pretty sure means I'm dying. Lulu! Dante! Nathan! Somebody help me!"

Maxie runs after a nurse and says, "What are you doing?! Help them!"

Once the nurse turns around it turns out to Maxie's sister Georgie and she says, "I'm not here to help them. I'm here to help you."

Maxie looks at her sister confused and says, "Georgie. Again?"

"Is that any way to greet your baby sister?" Georgie says shocked.

"Am I dead?" Maxie asks.

Georgie just smiles and says, "No. You'd know if you were."

Maxie sighs and says, "Good. For a second there I thought..."

Georgie cuts her off and says, "Maxie, you're close. It can all be over soon if you don't do something about it."

"What am I supposed to do? I'm not a doctor. I can't perform surgery on myself." Maxie says.

Georgie looks at her and says, "You can fight. You have been described as a spitfire since the day you were born. Don't let that fire go out now."

Maxie looks at her and says, "I'm not sure it's worth it."

Georgie then says, "You did not just say that. Since when is your life worth nothing?"

"Georgie, I am so tired of the lies, of pretending that I'm happy when I feel sick. If I go now, Dante and Lulu can have their daughter and nobody will know that she's not theirs."

"The baby's okay, isn't she? Did you see...? Nathan got to cut the cord and he was there for me throughout the whole delivery." Maxie says.

Georgie smiles and says, "I saw."

Maxie then says, "So surreal. After all these months, I was letting her go. Literally. Maybe it's time to just let me go, too."

Georgie looks at her and says, "You can't believe that."

"Why not? My daughter's taken care of. She's safe with two parents who will absolutely adore her, and if I die, my secret will just go with me." Maxie says.

Georgie looks at her and says, "Believe me it won't."

Maxie looks at her sister confused and says, "What do you mean?"

"Come with me. I'll show you." Georgie says.

Maxie and Georgie are then standing where Mac and Felicia are.