Chapter 40

Sakura kept glancing at Naruto during breakfast.

Mebuki noticed but kept quiet. She immediately knew about her daughter's feelings for the blond kid by just seeing her actions. She was quite proud of her daughter to fall in love for such a fine young man.

Not to mention that this boy's parents were good friends of hers.

After Naruto and Sakura were done eating, Mebuki left to get Naruto's clothes.

"Thanks for letting me sleep on your bed, Sakura-chan. I had a really good sleep.", Naruto said to Sakura as soon as Mebuki was out of sight.

"Sure.", Sakura said.

Naruto scratched his cheek.

"Ne, Sakura-chan?", Naruto said.

"Nani?", she said.

"Why'd you hug me last night?", Naruto asked, blushing.

Sakura blushed as well amd tried to think of a good answer. Naruto patiently waited.

"Uh... I guess I felt cold.", Sakura reasoned.

Naruto shrugged.

"Oh, well. At least it was nothing more.", Naruto said.

'I wished it was.', Sakura thought.

"Right.", she chuckled nervously.

Mebuki appeared with Naruto's clothes in her arms.

"Here.", Mebuki handed the clothes to Naruto.

Naruto gratefully took them from her grasp.

"Arigato, Mebuki-san.", Naruto said.

"No problem. Bathroom's at the end of the hall.", Mebuki said, pointing to a room at the end of the hall.

"Hai.", Naruto said then went to the bathroom to change.

He got out a few minutes later wearing his clean shinobi clothes and with Haruno-san's childhood clothes in hand. He handed the clothes to Mebuki.

"Thanks for letting me stay the night and for washing my clothes, Mebuki-san.", Naruto said.

"You don't need to thank me.", Mebuki said.

"Sure, I do. You are one of a few good people who had been really nice to me.", Naruto said.

"It's because of those rumors, isn't it?", Mebuki asked.

Naruto nodded. Mebuki sighed.

"People and their rumors. You are nothing but a parentless child. I don't see any demon besides you.", Mebuki said.

"Did you believe in those rumors?", Naruto asked.

"Not really. But rumors are rumors. They have to have some evidence before they make me believe you're a demon.", Mebuki said.

"Arigato, Mebuki-san. I was glad to have met you.", Naruto said.

"I wish it could've been sooner.", Mebuki said.

Sakura smiled at her crush and mother. She was ecstatic to find them already close to each other. Perhaps, her mother wouldn't mind if Naruto would become her husband someday. She blushed at the thought.