Chapter 55

Sakura gasped.

Naruto's eyes widened.

Sasuke remained stoic but deep inside, he was disgusted.

Kakashi sighed and shook his head.

"And... that's why I had to lie about the mission rank. We didn't have enough money to pay for protecting us from Gato and his thugs.", Tazuna explained.

Kakashi sighed again.

"I'll let this pass, but my team still has to make their decision.", Kakashi said.

"I understand.", Tazuna said.

Kakashi stood from the couch.

"Alright, let's retire for the night. We'll discuss this tomorrow.", Kakashi announced and walked to his and Sasuke's room.

Sasuke followed him without a single word.

Sakura walked over to Tazuna and placed a hand on his left shoulder.

"I'm sorry about your son-in-law.", Sakura said.

"It's fine. I'm sorry about underestimating you and lying about the mission.", Tazuna apologized.

"Nah, don't worry about it. You did it for your family, you're not that bad after all.", Naruto said, giving him a genuine smile.

"Thanks, kid.", Tazuna smiled, smiling back.

Naruto and Sakura went up to their room. Naruto offered to sleep on the floor but Sakura declined.

"You just healed, and besides, the floor is cold.", Sakura reasoned.

"Alright.", he said, climbing in bed with her.

They had their backs at each other to avoid any eye contact. Sakura fell asleep but Naruto was still wide awake, deep in his thoughts.

He was thinking about what to do when Tazuna explained about their situation. He was ready to help but he thought about Sakura.

He didn't want her to get hurt.

He lay there for an hour or 2 until he finally came to a decision.

He was going to help Tazuna and his family and at the same time, protect Sakura.

And he was going to make sure he doesn't fail.

To Be Continued...