Chapter 11

• Dedicated to Rachel Scott

This is something that has happened in American Schools quite often. Like the one in  1999. Bullied, bullies, attention, unhappy.

This is a day I will not forget. The day I lost two friends because they lost themselves and I didn't see the signs earlier.

I go to school with Evan as usual. I go to class with Gale, Emily, and Zack as usual. Nothing is different. Everything is the same. Even if it is boring, I don't want it to change so I keep my mouth shut. "Zack!" I yell before fourth period and slap his back. "So, how're your magazines?"

"I told you I'm not gay!" he whispers loudly in my ear.

I laugh at him and step away. "Sure your not!" I tell him with sarcasm clearly in my voice. Who could miss it? "Well, have fun in whatever class your going to!"

I run off to my next class that drags on and on. I get bored and start texting Zack.

Jamie: Hey :)

Zack: Hi

Jamie: Whatcha doin????

Zack: Trying not to get caught txting

Jamie: I wont! In this class everyone txts and she doesn't notice!

Zack: jerl :I

Jamie: JERL? What the hell is jerl? I know wat a jerk is though :)

Zack: Definition is u

Jamie: YEAH! I'm in the dictionary!

Zack: HAHA

Jamie: :)

Zack: U seen C or J recently? I mean after that 1 time?

Jamie: . . . J picked me and Emm up for skool once but that's it. He claims he doesn't know where C is

Zack: O

Jamie: Yeah . . .

Zack: Do u know wat their up 2?

Jamie: I wish

I've tried texting them, calling them, going over to their houses, nothing works. I really do wish I could talk to them and help them but it seems that's out of the picture; I'm out of the picture. Really, that's sad. My friends abandoning me here without a word.

I hide my phone when the teacher passes by then she gives me a look and goes back to her desk because I look like I'm drawing a star with designs inside of it. I sigh and then keep on drawing until the bell rings for lunch. I put away my drawing in my bag and then go put my bag in my locker. I meet Emily and Zack at my locker. I ignore Gale though.

We go into the lunchroom. I look at the line and take my place. I finally get there and get a piece of cake for my sweet tooth and then some soup because I'll want something salty after wards. Then I get some water and sit down. "Odd choice of food," Zack tells me.

I explain my reason. "And you also have a weird choice. Carrots, fries, and some . . . what the hell is that?"

"Rice."

"You have a weird choice."

"Well then were both weirdos."

"True!" I eat my cake and then chug down half my bottle of water. Emily pokes my arm. "What?"

"Did you know that the prep who tripped and had rainbow underwear is coming over?"

She's right. "Oh!" I yell happy. "Rainbow undies!"