Chapter 20: Falling Even Further

Today was Christmas Eve, and Gina had a big party, where I met all of their family, Lindsay and Ruben came too.

          It's now11:56 and Luke and I are sitting on the porch waiting till it's officially Christmas day, he said he has a surprise for me.

          We sit there silently in our pajamas watching the clocks on our phone. I have no clue what's gonna happen.

"Almost." He smiles holding up his phone cutely, 11:59.

Finally, it's exactly 12am, Christmas morning. He turns fumbling around with the pocket of his pajama pants. He pulls out a small gift box wrapped in red paper, with a silver bow on top.

  "Happy Christmas!" He hands the little box to me, then kisses my cheek.

  I pull the off the silver bow and tear the paper off, leaving a small teal tiffany.co box.

I slowly open the lid. Inside is a beautiful sterling silver heart shaped necklace, with a small infinity symbol on the back.

  "Lyla, I love you." Says Luke sincerely.

   I stare at him for a minute registering what he just confessed. I wrap my arms around him tightly. "I love you too." I say, and the tears begin to swell in my eyes. I sniffle.

"Don't cry babe." He says and I can hear the smile on his face.

"I'm happy."

"Do you want me to put it on you?" He asks.

I nod and turn my back towards him. I carefully lift up my hair, as he wraps the thin metal chain around my neck. I look down as the silver locket hangs just above where my heart is. I turn back towards him. Then I kiss his lips softly.

"Open it." He says.

         I carefully wedge my finger nail in between the 2 halves of the heart, and pry it open. Inside our names are engraved on either side of the heart. Lyla and Luke.

     I begin to cry more. He takes his sweatshirt sleeve and wipes away my tears, I burry my face in his chest taking in his scent. "I love you so much Luke, Thank you."

  He kisses my forehead and we sit on the porch for about an hour, not saying anything just being, there with one another, existing.

  After awhile we go in and go to bed.

This is the best Christmas ever.