Chapter 33: Forget Us

The next day around 5 pm

Luke's POV

Last night I slept in the chair next to Lyla's hospital bed.

I've talked to the nurses and the police and now I know the whole story and it just proves that Beau was right, Lyla is strong.

   The impact of the car broke 2 of her ribs, and caused a lot of internal bleeding. Then when she fell, she hit her head on the pavement and got a concussion. But it could have been much worse.

As for the faggots that hit her... they had been drinking.

But, Lyla will be coming home with us in two days on Saturday.  Mum wants me to come home and stay but I don't want to leave her.

She wakes up around 1am in the morning. She slowly opens her eyes and looks around the room.

"Lyla...you're awake." I smile. Then I give her a soft kiss on her forehead. "I was so scared babe. I thought I was gonna lose you."

  I gently embrace her in a hug. But she doesn't hug back. I blame it on the pain, I'm sure she's in a lot of it.

She stares up on me with a blank look on her face.

"Who...who are you?" She asks.

I laugh. "Luke your boyfriend."

"What?"

"Lyla c'mon this isn't funny." I say, lightly touching her shoulder. She shrugs me off.

"I don't know you..."

She has no idea who I am.

"Where's my mom? Where am I?" She asks, confused.

I don't want to scare her and tell her that she's in a completely different country. "She's not here now, and you're in Melbourne." I explain.

"Australia?"

I nod.

"But where is my mom?"

"She's in ....America." I say.

"What! Why am I here?" She yells as a single tear runs down her cheek.

"Shhh, you're okay. I'm the son of one of your mums close friend. You're staying with us."

"See that necklace." I point to the locket on the small rolling table next to her bed. "I gave that to you on Christmas, when I told you I loved you."

"I don't remember..."

I stare down at her for a long moment.

"I'll be right back." I run into the hall and find her nurse.

"She doesn't remember anything..." I exclaim.

"We knew there was a possibility of this, but her memory will eventually return."

"When?"

"There's no way to know, it could be a week, or it could be a year."

       Shit.... When everything seems to be going well something bad has to happen like this. But why?

       Those few months I spent with her were the best, and I'm in love with her. But she doesn't remember a thing. Not the kiss, or the necklace, or the fight. She's forgotten us.