Chapter 31: Waiting

Lukes POV.

    I run through the crowd and past the police officers. Then I hop into the back of the ambulance.  I look down at the closed-eyed girl. It is Lyla.

   "Sir you're not supposed to be in here." Says one of the medics angrily.

    "I know her, she's my girlfriend." I say my voice all choked up. "Will she be okay?"

"We don't know yet." He says putting an oxygen mask over her nose and mouth.

The other medic closes the ambulance and we speed off.

On the way to the hospital I give Jai a call.

"Hello?" I say.

"Where the fuck are you?"

"I'm in the ambulance, Lyla was hit." I say my voice weak.

"Is she gonna be okay?"

"I don't know... can you, mum and Beau meet us at the hospital."

"Yeah."

      Once we arrive at the hospital they take her into an operating room and I have to wait alone.

This wouldn't have happened if I would have gone with her.

20 minutes later I see Beau, mum, and Jai walking towards me. "She'll be okay." Says Beau sitting down next to me.

"How do you know? You don't." I say.

"I do....she's strong."

There's a long silence and I can hear my thoughts loud and clear...                         'She's gonna die'    'You did this'   'You could have saved her.."

"It's all my fault..." I say.

"No it's not Luke." Says Mum.

"Yes it is...if I hadn't-"

"It's not your fault hon... don't blame yourself."

Suddenly the doctor walks out, I immediately stand up.

"Is she okay?" I ask.

"It's hard to say...the loss of blood is severe. But you've got the best team of surgeons working here in Melbourne.

"I don't give a shit about that! Will she live or not?" I yell angrily.

"We don't know yet...I know this must be hard for you...but there's a possibility that your sister may not survive."

"She's my girlfriend."

"Well...we're trying our best." He walks slowly back into the operating room.

I stand there for a moment. Then I run to the bathroom, I quickly lock the door then kick it.

"Fuck!" I scream.

I sit down on the cold floor, my knees pressed against my chest, and cry.

"Luke?" It's Beau. "You okay mate?"

"No I'm not fucking okay!" I scream.

I sit in there for nearly 40 minutes, crying. Then I push myself to go out to the waiting room.

"Any news?" I say to my family.

"No." Says Jai shaking his head.

I sit back in my chair, and stare down at the floor.