Chapter 30: The Shock

2 Weeks later.

Lyla's POV

      After a long day in town with Machaela and the boys, I decide to go for a penny board ride.

  I grab my board, then walk into the boy's room; they're all busy playing video games. "Hey, I'm gonna go for a quick ride, kay?"

"It's dark?"Says Jai.

"And?" I say.

He shrugs his shoulders then goes back to playing his game.

"Be careful babe." Smiles Luke.

"I will, love you." I smirk.

"Love you too."

I leave, and skate down the street a ways. Its dark, but the fait street lights illuminate the road so I'm able to see.

After awhile I get tired of the silence, so I get out my phone and click on a song. Then put one ear-bud in.

I keep going. Then suddenly I get a text. It's from Freelee. I can't be mad at her, she's my friend. Even though she hurt Beau.

I look up the road to make sure there's no cars, then I stop and open her message.

"Hey, how is Beau?"

I sigh.

"He's okay..."

After a long while she says... "Oh..."

Oh... that's all she has to say?

"Yeah -

Before I can finish my message I hear a car, and like a deer, in the headlights I freeze.

Luke's POV

   Jai and I sit quietly in our room, on our phones, when suddenly we hear sirens. I peek out the window and see the ambulance come racing by along with two police cars behind it.

I hop down from my bunk, and throw on my shoes.

   "Where are you going?" asks Jai.

"Going to see what's going on."

I'm scared, all I can think in my head is that it's Lyla..

Once I'm out the door I pick up to a run. I can see the ambulance lights and lots of people gathered around the scene. I run up to a police officer.

"What happened?" I ask.

"A young girl was hit by car."

"Who?"

"We don't know yet."

I work through the crowd, then I see the medics, loading the girl into the ambulance. On the ground there's a large pool of blood.

                         I look around the crowd, then I recognize someone. Ellie. I walk over to her. Her face lightens up, then turns to a scowl.

"Luke..." she says.

"Do you...know who was hit?"

She sighs... "No, But it looked like that one American girl that you're with."

   My heart stops.

"She had the same skateboard as her..."