When the Walls Break

Aubrey

"It's almost been a week, you know. I mean, it's Friday already. You've got to talk to him sometime," Scarlett says as she drives down the street. The little baby hairs around her forehead wildly stick right up, not long enough to be slicked back into her ponytail. She blasts the air conditioning in her car to cool us off from our morning gym session. "The poor guy is probably dying to talk to you. Can you imagine being in his shoes?"

"I know, I know," I shake my head and look out the window. "I'm horrible for having avoided him this long."

"You're not horrible. You're just scared, and that's perfectly normal," she shrugs her shoulders and fixes one side of her tank top before turning into my neighborhood. "But you shouldn't avoid him. Just talk to him. He's in love with you, and all he wants is to get to know the real Aubrey, the Aubrey that hasn't introduced herself to anyone."

As Scarlett pulls up into the driveway, she parks the car and turns the radio volume down. It's quiet between us because I'm not really sure what else to say. We spent an hour of the morning in the gym, with Scarlett showing me the ropes of all the workout machines as I've never stepped foot into a fitness center before. We also spent that whole time talking about Liam and Harry and Bradley and Mikaela. Most of our conversation was spent talking about Liam and me and my inability to open up to him or anyone else.

Deep down I want to be able to open myself up and let out all those emotions I've been hiding, but the thought of doing so just scares the hell out of me. It's terrifying for me to think about being vulnerable like that. I shield myself from everything for a reason, and I just don't know what to expect if I let my guard down.

And this "love" thing that's been thrown into the mix has really put me on edge. Liam has only known me a month and he claims he loves me. I've known people longer than three years that have never said that. Granted, I haven't been with anyone romantically like things seem to have been between Liam and me lately.

After talking with Scarlett this whole morning, I have come to the realization that I think I do love Liam, too. It's probably hidden somewhere amongst my emotions that I keep bottled up, and I need to find it before I speak with him.

I close my eyes and sigh, taking in everything that Scarlett and I talked about earlier. It's confusing and scary, but I know what I need to do.

"Well, thanks," I lightly smile at her as I get out of her car. I hold the door open as I stand beside it, awkwardly shifting my weight between my feet. "I needed this."

"You'll be fine. It'll seem really scary, but you'll feel great about it after," she smiles with such a genuine and caring look in her eyes that instantly makes me feel better just being in her presence. "Tell that one I'll come back to pick him up in an hour for our day trip."

She nods her head toward the house, so I turn around and see Harry standing at his bedroom window, waving at us once we make eye contact. I laugh and smile in agreement, thanking Scarlett before shutting the door and walking inside the house.

Not even ten seconds into the house, Brooke steps out of our shared room. It's been awkward between us for a while and even more so since she came back from San Francisco this past weekend. It's only awkward because of what's happened between us and the fact that I've been sleeping in my bed this week, meaning that we have been in the same room each night. Yet neither of us have said a word to the other. And apparently right now is the moment she decides to speak.

"Aubrey! Hey. Um," Brooke picks at her fingernails and glances back and forth between her chipped nail polish and me. "Can we talk for a minute?"

I shake my head and start walking toward the stairs. "Sorry, but I'm kind of busy right now."