New Faces

Brooke

I watch as the ocean waves crash on the shore and hit my feet. It's a very calming experience to just watch and listen to the waves. I'm not sure why, but it just is. And seeing as it's early enough for there not to be a crowd, it's even more calming with no screaming children in the background.

Zayn and I have been at the beach only for a few minutes. We stopped by after our breakfast since we haven't really spent a whole lot of time here. Neither of us have our suits or anything else that is considered proper beach apparel and equipment, so we aren't going to be staying long. I just wanted to stop by and see the view again.

"I have to talk to him," Zayn speaks up as he approaches me, instantly getting splashed by a wave that crashes down in front of us.

"Who?" I ask, confused as this came out of nowhere.

"Niall. I have to talk to him about what's going on," he stressfully runs both hands through his hair and links his fingers together at the back of his neck. "I am so damn attracted to him, and this whole sleeping-together-with-no-strings-attached thing is driving me crazy."

"Then speak up about it," I shrug my shoulders and look back out to the ocean. "If it's bugging you that much, tell him about it. And do it as soon as possible before it makes you go psychotic."

"I am trying to say something to him, but I just can never get the words out. I'm pretty sure he knows that I'm in this way too deep, and I don't think he cares," Zayn groans loudly and kicks some of the salt water. "I want to say something, but I don't want to say something because I know that if I tell him I want more than just friends with benefits, he's going to end it so quick. And I don't want it to end."

"Man up!" I shove him on the shoulder, making him stumble so much that he almost falls into the ocean. I quickly apologize before I continue to talk. "I mean seriously. Why would you put yourself through that torture just because you don't want to stop sleeping with him? That's mentally painful. You're going to have to sacrifice your time spent with him in the bedroom in order to maintain your happiness and sanity."

It's funny how not too long ago, Zayn was the one telling me what to do and giving me advice. Now, the roles have reversed and he's receiving the advice from me. I think I can stop him from doing anything that will make him look like a fool, unlike myself.

Zayn deeply sighs and shakes his head before walking away. "Let's go home. I have a headache."

I follow him across the sand until we reach the parking lot, dusting off our feet before getting into his car. We make the short ride back to the house in near silence. I'm not sure if I offended him with my demand for him to grow some balls or if he's just thinking about what to do. All I know is that we barely communicate the whole time.

When we reach the house, Zayn parks in the driveway and immediately gets out of the car. His behavior seems a little off as he rushes into the house, leaving me outside. I sigh as I shut the car door and walk up to the front of the house. Just as I grab the handle, a unfamiliar voice calls out to me.

"Hey! Excuse me? Do you live here?"

I turn around to see a guy standing on the sidewalk in front of my house. His hair is dark and curly, he's fairly tall with broad shoulders, and his skin glows with a bronzed tan he must have acquired yesterday. He's so attractive that I can barely move from my spot in front of the door, let alone answer his question.

The guy tilts his head to the side, waiting for me to say something. When I don't do anything else but stand here like an idiot, he finally makes another move by walking toward me.