Double Date

Harry

Rain pours down in front of me, splashing in the pool and nearly flooding the grassy area of our backyard. Lightning flashes across the grey sky as thunder booms just a moment after. It's scary, almost, knowing that the storm is right over my head but I'm not worried about it. Somehow the sound of a thunder storm alongside the sound of rain hitting the ground puts me at ease. It's ironic how a potentially dangerous storm can make someone feel relaxed and safe.

I've been sitting in the back patio, under the awning and clear of the rain, watching this storm for the past hour. Scarlett and I were supposed to go out this morning on another one of our day trips to the beach, but this storm kind of put those plans to an end. It was unfortunate but we still decided to hang out together for the day. Plus, it works out better because the double date I suggested to Brooke, which was planned for a Friday I believed to be next week, ended up actually being today Friday. Now Scarlett and I don't have to cut our day trip short to be able to get back here and get ready for a date, so it works out I guess. 

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to this double date tonight. It sounded like a good idea at the time, and in my head I just wanted to see Brooke with someone that actually made her happy enough to not care about my relationship with Scarlett, but now that I've been thinking about this it could be a really bad idea. There's a competitive side to Brooke and I could most likely accurately predict that she will try to one-up everything we do, as if it really matters ... which it doesn't. This isn't a contest to see who has the better relationship. The only thing I intended for it to be like is when Scarlett and I hang out with Liam and Aubrey: just a fun and enjoyable time with friends. Except the difference this time is that one person in this double date hates another. Tonight could go terribly wrong or suspiciously fine. I don't know which I'd rather have.

The door to the house opens up as Scarlett walks out with a concerned expression on her face. She shoves her phone in the front pocket of her sweatshirt and sits down in the empty chair beside me.

"What's wrong?" I ask, turning in my own chair to face her.

"I think you need to give Liam a call. I just got off the phone with Aubrey and she said that Liam just decked his dad in the foyer of his house."

"What?" I immediately sit up straight in the chair. 

That was not how I imagined his visit with his parents to go. Aubrey must be freaking out because the two of us didn't go over this scenario. We went over everything. Well, nearly everything. I tried to focus on only the positive outcomes, but not once did we discuss how she should go about the situation if Liam punched his own dad in the face. I can only imagine that she's having a panic attack right now and I know that in his current state Liam can't do anything to calm her.

"Is Aubrey okay?"

Scarlett shrugs her shoulders as her brows draw together. "I don't know. I'm worried. She almost sounded scared but she kept trying to assure me that she was fine. I think she might have been more concerned with Liam."

"Maybe I should call her first."

"Harry, I love that you care so much about her ... I really do," Scarlett softly smiles at me. "But Liam needs someone other than his girlfriend to talk to right now. He just punched his dad. Have a chat with him before anything else happens. You can call Aubrey after."

"Right," I nod my head just as a loud crack of thunder echoes around us and a lightning bolt travels throughout the sky. I stand up from the chair and start heading inside. "I'll be right back."

Pulling out my phone, I slip into the house and dial Liam's number. I notice Zayn and Louis sitting on the couch in the living room, getting angry that the TV signal keeps going in and out as the sound is choppy. When I step into the kitchen, Liam picks up the phone.