Nineteen

I woke up the next morning, disorientated and confused on where the hell I was. That was when everything flooded back, the night before when Lottie had broken the news to Dean, his rage that she was leaving, getting her home safely, watching a horrible chick flick before we both called it a night. I'd ended up sleeping in her spare bedroom, it wasn't as grand as my room at Jake's but it was still better than the mattress I owned at my own apartment. The apartment that I no longer owned, which made the decision I needed to make ten times harder. Where was I going to stay when I left? I couldn't ask Jake to pay for anything but I sure as hell couldn't afford anything. I would have to go to my parents house and endure their gloating, they were right.

I pushed the covers back on the spare bed, before pulling the clothes on I'd worn yesterday and fixing the sheets. I needed a shower, but that would wait until I was back at Jake's before I told him I needed to leave.

I took the stairs quickly, hoping Lottie was already awake so she could give me a ride back to Jake's. I had a feeling a taxi wouldn't take me all the way to Brighton, plus I wasn't sure I wanted to pay that kind of money for a taxi either.

I found Lottie standing in the kitchen, staring at her cup full of tea like it held all the answers to the meaning of life. I cleared my throat, making her eyes flick up to my face. Her frown was replaced with a sad smile, one I didn't like to see Lottie wearing.

"Jake will be here shortly," Lottie said, answering my question of a lift before I'd even uttered the words. It was creepy how everyone did that around here, like I was an open book.

I frowned, wondering why Jake was coming to pick me up. Surely he didn't want to be around me after I'd told him I liked him, or maybe he was finally going to fire me because of crossing a line.

"He stayed at Dean's last night," Lottie explained, once again reading my mind. "Called me this morning to let me know Deans okay, a complete idiot, but he's fine," Lottie shook her head at the last part, the annoyance thick in her voice.

"How can you leave so easily?" I asked, the words slipping out of my mouth before I could stop them. I knew it sounded horrible, but I needed to know how she was doing it so I could as well.

Her eyes met mine again, searching my face and reading my thoughts most likely. I shifted my weight from my left foot to my right foot, feeling slightly uncomfortable because of how easily people could guess my thoughts.

"What?" Lottie asked, still watching me in a way that made me slightly uncomfortable.

"I was just wondering," I shrugged, hoping I'd come off as casual.

"I know this is what's best for me and him, I cant keep trying to make him something he isn't," she replied, the words almost coming across as mechanical. It was as if she had practiced that over and over in her head before she said it out loud.

The doorbell rang out through the house, stopping out conversation completely. My stomach turned over at the thought of Jake being so close, mostly because I knew this car ride was going to be insanely awkward. I didn't know what to say to him, but I prayed that he would give me the push I needed to leave.

"I'll call you later," Lottie smiled, I nodded and gave her a quick hug before heading to the front door. I pulled it open, stepping out and closing it behind me. Jake watched me, an emotionless expression on his face that I wanted to slap off. The sight of him enraged me, mostly because I was completely angry with myself.

I followed him to his car, neither of us saying a word as we climbed into the car. Twenty minutes later and we were still sitting in silence, it wasn't as comfortable as it used to be between us. I still didn't know what he thought about me liking him and I didn't think I even wanted to know. I just wanted to leave, even though I didn't know how I would actually leave.