Thirty

I woke up to the thunderous sound of drums and cymbals clashing together. I pulled the end of my pillow up in an effort to block out the sound, but it did absolutely no good. I groaned and rolled over, checking the time on my phone and finding that it was already midday. I sighed and flopped back into bed, remembering how I'd been unable to sleep the night before. Everything that had happened with Jake had made me restless because I couldn't turn my mind off. Now I was paying for it, waking up in the middle of the day was a waste of a day. I kicked the doona back and stumbled into my bathroom, still half asleep. I had a quick shower, before dressing in one of my favourite floral summer dresses. It was still nice and sunny outside, so I was definitely going to take of the beautiful day today.

I dug around in the only handbag I'd bothered to bring in the move, finding my headphones that I hadn't touched since the plane flight. I took my headphones and phone, before grabbing a beach towel out of the linen closet near the stairs; I really wasn't surprised at all that the house was stocked to the brim with anything you could ever want or need. I took the stairs slowly, the towel in one of my hands and my phone and headphones in the other hand. The sound of the drums was louder downstairs, and I was glad that I couldn't be heard as I went out the back door. I didn't know what it was going to be like when I was around Jake now. We had been having fun yesterday, but now after the way he'd touched me I was fairly sure if he tired to seduce me again I would just completely hand myself over to him.

I jumped off the decking, not bothering with the two steps that lead to the plush green grass. It was obvious that Jake had a personal gardener, from the lush, green trees that lined the back yard on either side, to the soft, vivid green grass. I just didn't know when all of these people did these things for him, cleaning the house, stocking the place up and gardening. It was as if there were magical elves that worked through the night in order to maintain the house.

I laid the beach towel out on the grass, before flopping down onto the comfy grass with my feet facing the back door and my head closer to the beach. I was surprised at how luxurious and spongy the grass was, nothing like the hard surface of normal ground. I rolled onto my stomach and propped my elbows up so I could look out at the lapping shoreline. It was a short distance to the beach that the house backed onto, only a small wiry gate stopping the backyard from turning into sand. I breathed in deep salty breaths as I listened to the soothing sound of the ocean, trying to tune out the sound of Dean bashing his drums inside the house. I didn't know why the sound booth door wasn't closed, surely the neighbours were getting annoyed by all of the racket.

I sighed and plugged my headphones into my phone, before wriggling out of the top half of my sundress so it gathered at my hips. I lied flat on my stomach, putting the headphones into my ear and searching through the artists on my phone. I couldn't decide on what to listen to when I noticed the Limitless artist folder. I opened it finding their three albums that were currently out staring back at me. Taunting me to listen to them. I only knew a couple of songs from each of their albums, I didn't know if I'd ever actually listened to the albums through. I knew exactly what I had to do, ungrudgingly I touched the first song of the first album called 'Say Goodbye'. The soft sounds of a skilled piano player filled my ears, methodically pressing each key into the prettiest rhythm and sound I'd ever heard. I'd definitely never heard this song before. The other instruments joined in, soft and delicately playing along with the piano. The drums were barely there, just adding to the beat of the song, as the guitar created the tempo of the song and the bass copied the tune of the piano.

I laid my head to the side and shut my eyes, unclipping my bra so I didn't get a horrible tan line. The sound of Jake's voice filled my ears and I felt my heart rate speed up, my heart almost exploding with the amount of feelings I had for him. He was singing about leaving someone or a place in order to move on to bigger and better things, even if it was the hardest thing to do. I didn't care for the lyrics, they were beautiful and I knew he'd probably been the one to write them, but all I cared for was the way his voice sounded. He had a punk edge to his voice, but it was so melodic that my breath caught in my throat. He also did this thing after every line of a lyric where he sucked in a breath; it was insanely hot and made me feel things in places I didn't know someone's singing could affect. His voice sounded so full of emotion, as he sang about saying goodbye to his old life that I felt my chest tighten for the boy who'd written these songs.