Twenty-Three

I woke up the next morning fairly late and to a silent house. I kicked the covers back and headed out into the hallway, before walking into the kitchen and finding that I was home alone. I noticed a piece of paper sitting on the kitchen bench with a credit card sitting next to it.

I walked over to it, picking up the piece of paper that had messy writing on it saying 'Tilly, use my credit card to buy something nice to wear tomorrow night. Caleb. Ps. Dean has a spare car and the keys are hanging near the front door'. I picked up Caleb's credit card, contemplating turning down the offer until I remembered I really hand nothing to wear tomorrow night. What was one dress to a multi-millionaire? I would pay him back, I promised myself before I hurried back to my room to get changed.

I pulled on a pair of jeans and a knit turtle neck jumper, before leaving my room and picking up the spare keys to the car. Luckily the keys had house keys on them, so I was able to lock the front door and head down the porch steps before trying to figure out which car was Dean's. I held the key up in the air and clicked unlock, listening for the beep of a car unlocking. To my left I heard the magic beep coming from a nice looking BMW convertible.

"Sweet," I breathed, before heading towards the car and hopping in. The perfect black leather seats cupped my body completely and the car smelt of brand new leather. I was in pure heaven, until I realised that I had no idea at all on how to get around Brighton. I was thankful that Australia drove on the same side of the road as England, I was also thankful for the massive touch screen navigator that flashed to life as I turned the key in the ignition. The engine purred to life and I began to type in the only shopping district I knew in Brighton, the one around the corner from Jake's house.

I made it to the shops intact, the car practically drove itself and I wasn't going to complain about that. I parked on the side of the road and headed into the first clothing store I could find. Luckily for me I didn't have to look far for a dress, because shopping was definitely not my favourite thing to do at all.

I held the dress in my hands, looking at the style and wondering if it would be acceptable for an exhibition opening night. After worrying for a couple of minutes I realised I didn't really care, it was my exhibition so I would wear whatever I wanted to. If I didn't fit in with the crowd at my exhibition, well I didn't feel like that would be a bad thing.

I was walking out of the shop after twenty minutes of shopping, when my phone began to ring in the back pocket of my jeans. I pulled it out, finding an unknown caller and frowning at my phone.

"Hello?" I asked, wondering who could possibly be calling me.

"Matilda, its Tanya here. I was just giving you a call to let you know my assistant is on her way to pick up that USB I asked Jake for," Tanya explained on the other end of the phone in a professional tone.

"Oh," I replied, wondering how she had found my phone number and why Jake hadn't told me about this arrangement.

"Yes, I know its very last minute, but will you make sure to be ready in ten minutes to give it to her? She has to turn around almost immediately so everything can be set up from tomorrow night," Tanya continued like I'd answered her question.

"Alright," I said, unsure as to what else there was to tell this lady.

"Good," Tanya said, before the line went dead.

I looked down at my phone, puzzled by what was going on, before heading to the car. I was going to have to go back to Jake's house, which was definitely something I hadn't wanted to do.

I parked Dean's convertible behind his Range Rover out the front of Jake's house, before heading up the short walkway to the front door. I knocked on the door twice, thinking about how weird it was to think that two days ago I would have been the one answering the door. Instead of me answering the door though, Hanley pulled the door open and frowned at me before going back to talking down her cell phone as she walked away from the front door. I sighed and stepped inside, closing the door behind me and noticing that the studio door was closed again. I guessed Jake didn't want Hanley to hear what he was working on, not that you could hear anything that went on inside those glass walls.