Twenty

"I'm Hanley Blake," Hanley smiled sweetly at me, but a sinking feeling in my stomach told me that she wouldn't stay this nice. It was an act, I couldn't even blame her for wanting to rip my head off or slap me. Her eyes bore into mine as she held out her hand, the smile on her face definitely not fooling me.

"Matilda Greene," I forced a smile as I took her and allowed for us to have a normal handshake. However, her eyes told me that I should definitely sleep with one eye open.

"Can you put my stuff up in the room, Hun," Hanley said turning to Jake, telling him rather than asking him.

I'd stood up so I could greet Hanley, but now I wanted more than nothing to lock myself away in my room. I was a horrible horrible person, having Hanley around made me feel so guilty I wanted to vomit. Signing the contract now seemed so stupid, I wanted out more than anything. I wasn't equipped for this world, nor did I have the same presence as Hanley. She was terrifying.

As mortifying as the whole situation was, I knew I wasn't ever going to get a better opportunity to do what I loved. So, for now I just had to suck it up and stop stepping on everyone's toes, plus I was bound here by a contract. I could no longer run away.

Jake was about to carry Hanley's large suitcase upstairs when the front door opened again. Dean strode in, arrogance hanging thick in the air even with his injured hand in bandages. Caleb followed him in and closed the door behind both of them; the sleazy smile on his face slipping right off when he turned around and saw Hanley. Dean leaned against the glass balustrade, Caleb stood by the door with a frown on his face, Jake was stopped on the third step, Hanley was looking from Dean to Caleb with a peeved look on her face and I was completely confused.

"Jakey boy," Caleb clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth in a displeased way. He looked Hanley over with a frown on his face, before he looked over to Jake. "You didn't tell us the Wicked Witch was visiting," Caleb said, before he looked over to me and cracked a huge smile. I tried to hold back my laughter but Dean burst out into a loud and throaty chuckle. I'd never heard him laugh so I was completely shocked, Caleb's joke was forgotten.

"Caleb," Jake groaned, almost like he couldn't be bothered with it. Jake started to carry the suitcase upstairs, a sign that he really didn't want to deal with what ever was going on.

"Is that how you stand up for me?" Hanley asked through clenched teeth, she was obviously annoyed at Jake's response. "Your filthy band mates insult your girlfriend and you don't even have anything to say?"

I met eyes with Caleb, wondering if this was the usual vibe between everyone. I'd seen the boys play fight, but I'd never fully picture what would happen if Hanley was thrown in the mix. Jake did say they always fought, but she'd only just got here so surely it couldn't start this soon.

"I'm not dealing with this right now Hanley," Jake called from the top of the stairs, before the sound of a door closing signified the end of that discussion.

"So..." Caleb said in the most awkward voice of the century, looking everywhere except for at Hanley. He was putting it on, trying to make Hanley even more uncomfortable than she already was. Caleb's eyes rested on Hanley, he pulled his eyebrows together like he was confused. "I can't see it anywhere," Caleb mumbled to himself, starting to look around like he'd lost something.

"What?" Hanley hissed, obviously irritated by Caleb's display. He stopped looking around and stared her straight in the face, his eyes glinting with curiosity.

"Your broom stick, you flew here on it right?" Caleb asked, receiving another chuckle from Dean and this time I had to hide my laughter with a cough.