Twenty-Seven

I stood in front of the mirror in my bathroom, breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. Alike the first Limitless party I'd attended, the party was in full swing outside my room whilst I was getting ready. I decided to keep my outfit simple tonight, wearing my black ripped jeans, a dark green bralet with spaghetti straps and my favourite black leather jacket. I looked like a complete rocker chick, except I'd skipped on make-up so I didn't have racoon eyes.

Caleb had said this party was going to be more low key than Jake's first party, less business men more people our age. From the sound of the party outside my door I wondered just how 'low key' Caleb thought 'low key' was.

I walked back into my/Tom's room, questioning whether it would look weird if I wore no shoes. I quickly decided against that when I realised everyone else would be wearing shoes and I didn't want my toes crushed. I also didn't want to stand on anything sticky that had been spilt on the floor, like drinks.

I pulled my Doc Martins on and left the room, joining the throng of people moving through the house. The centre of the party was in the open plan living area, where people were doing body shots and dancing around stupidly. Caleb had been right though, there were no business men in sight. Most of the people were either other famous celebrities willing to party, groupies or fillers. The fillers were mostly the entourage of the famous people, like me. I was a filler.

I noticed the back door was opened slightly, as I was seeking fresh air and a way to get away from the party whilst still seeming social, I pushed through the room and out the back door. I'd never been outside, so I wasn't surprised to find a nice decking area, outdoor couches and twinkling fair lights over head. It was the kind of back year you expected a rock star to have, minus a pool. Over in the corner there was a hot tub and I wondered just how long it would take before everyone was jumping into it.

"You want to go in?" a voice asked from behind me. I turned around, finding Jake lounging on one of the couches. He was wearing his usual black skinny jeans matched with a black top and black hoodie. I wondered if he had any other coloured clothes in his wardrobe.

He had a beer in his hand, the other resting on his knee as he watched me. He was looking me over, the stony expressionless look on his face giving nothing away. He had a small bruise on his cheekbone, right where I'd hit him with the lamp earlier this morning.

It seemed like I couldn't escape him. Like no matter what we always gravitated back to each other. It was beginning to make things even harder for me.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked, surprised that he wasn't inside mingling with everyone here to see him. He took a large swig of his beer before resting his eyes on me again.

"Getting away from everyone in there," he shrugged. I looked over to the party, everyone was still doing the regular party things and keeping the volume at loud. It was chaotic inside, people standing up on the dinning room table and dancing around.

I sighed and sat down on the couch opposite to him, avoiding eye contact because I didn't want his perfectly blue eyes to be able to read me. I couldn't keep my emotions off of my face and I knew that if I looked at him I wouldn't be able to stop the way my heart bet faster and my whole body turned into a mess.

He shifted on his seat, putting his elbows on his knees and leaning towards me. Like I needed him any closer. It was such a small distance between us that I could smell him, the smell of vanilla, sandalwood and man. I though he smelt of man because he just smelt like him, what his skin wouldn't smell like if he wasn't wearing any deodorant or anything, he just smelt like a guy. A heavenly guy kind of smell. The smell of him was enough to get my heart beating faster and make me light headed. I didn't know what was wrong with me, I was definitely falling apart.