Chapter 4- I Gave My Number to One of the Town's Biggest Players

The next day, after having quickly devoured breakfast and vastly avoided my family's interrogations about my whereabouts regarding the previous night, I dashed out the door and proceeded to walk towards Rowan's house before school. Of course, before I attempted to make my swift escape, Angus found me.

"Pay up," he simply stated, his palm open as he bent his fingers.

I quickly pulled out the jumbo pack of Haribo and placed it in his hand. "This means you still can't tell Mum you knew I went out last night, alright?"

I was quite cautious when it came to bribing Angus. Although, in my defence, it was mostly on his behalf as he provoked it. It was like he purposefully pursued me like a hawk when he heard any quiet, rushed footsteps down the stairs, or any scatters in the hall. Nevertheless, there had been more times than not he had accidentally slipped up and said aloud I sneaked out, and my punishments were worse every time. For example, the first time I got caught, I had to file my mum's feet, which I just found funny. The second time, I had to cook all the meals for a day for everyone. They just go on and on...

Not that I was some kind of masochist or anything: my parents probably thought that I acted up for attention. But, truth be told, that wasn't really the reason. There was no real reason. I just wanted an escape, time to just go out and relax.

Sometimes I wondered if they had any idea how stressful I felt my life was at times living with them, because I had been faced with dealing with two autistic siblings all my life. I was sort of depended on to look after them both, and to help my mum with things regarding them. With Rowan, it was like she was my escape, but also the rose that was rooted deep into my life with my family.

"I know," Angus sighed out of boredom, and brought me out of my thoughts.

My lips pressed into a firm line, but I nodded once, kissed his head, and told him to have a good day at school, before I swiftly went out the door.

As I walked to Rowan's, last nights events replayed in my head. Part of my heart jumped at the realisation I met Carter, the boy with the mesmerising eyes, but then another part of me, my stomach, lurched at the prospect that I had already taken such a keen liking to him. Suddenly I felt bad about all the times Rowan and I mocked girls who swooned over guys the instant they saw them. Hopefully, I wasn't turning out to be one of them, though, because I didn't want any heartbreak in my already complicated life.

I found myself walking slower and quickly sped up, knowing if I let my thoughts dictate my mind I'd be late for school. Eventually, I met up with Rowan, we said our quick hellos, and then we scurried to school.

Instantly, I could tell the atmosphere was different as soon as we walked through the metal gates. Everyone was crowded in their individual friendship groups, whispering to each other and seeming shocked by what they heard. Even the boys were whispering too, but more out of disbelief and annoyance, whereas the girls seemed gob smacked and jealous.

I made an apprehensive glance towards Rowan. "What's going on?"

Her eyes were roaming over everyone, taking in the scene. "Probably just the usual gossip of the school; someone got a bit too drunk and hooked up with someone's best mate, the fair caused a fight between the boys at our school and the boys at Carmichael's, etc. etc."

That was most likely true. Our school, Ross Academy, always had a strained rivalry with Carmichael High due to them being the joint most high achieving schools in town, both academically and physically. And by physically, I mean regarding talent and sport, too, the biggest one, of course. The students at my school and Carmichael's always took whatever opportunity they would get to take jabs at each other and start fights. It was actually quite entertaining at times.