Chapter 27- I Want to Promise You Forever

Fast forward to February 20th, my birthday. I had passed my driving test, so I now had a license! I was ecstatic, and it may sound silly but I felt like I had just gained a newfound freedom in my life.

"Happy birthday, Branwen!" My mum, August and Angus cheered as they bundled into my room. My birthday was on a Saturday this year, thank god.

Angus jumped up on to my bed, all bony knees and elbows, and I groaned as he winded my stomach.

"Angus!" I groaned, making him laugh.

"Mum, this bed is especially squidgy." He said, bouncing up and down on me.

"That's because there's a person with organs in it." I croaked out, and my mum quickly came and picked him up off the bed. I could finally breathe again.

"Seventeen today!" August cheered, then they all pulled me out of my bed by the arm and made me come downstairs to open my presents.

Oh, and if you are wondering, Carter treated me like a queen on Valentine's Day. But of course, I don't like to not be in the lead, so I treated him like a king. Gifts were exchanged and beautiful, loving words. And I slept over at his house, in his muscled arms, his heart beating strong against my small back.

While opening my presents, my mum came into the room with a white envelope in her hand. She looked me in the eyes.

"So, sweetie, you know we're not the best off with money. And I know it's not fair August and Angus get free things from the fund while you get nothing. So, you're 17, just passed your diver's test and... I thought this would be a treat."

She handed me the envelope, and I opened it up to pull out a pair of car keys with a large, long haired,dusty pink fluffy keychain with grey ombré on it.

"Omg, is that what I think it is?!" I squealed, jumping up and passing the keys from hand to hand, not believing my eyes.

"Yes it is!" My mum squealed, and I jumped over to her and hugged the life out of her. "Don't you want to see it?"

"Yes, yes of course!" I beamed at her, before sliding my feet into a pair of fluffy boots and running outside to our car park. There, a dark grey Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 awaited me, and I screamed in shock and joy. "No way!"

"Yes way." My mum said, light shining out of her wide smile. "Do you like it?"

"Are you kidding me?" I gestured to the car. "I freaking love it!"

She sighed in relief, before I attacked her with hugs and cheek kisses again.

--

As you can probably figure, that was my main present, although I did get some money from relatives and some small gifts here and there. My auntie thought it was funny to give me a car de-icing spray. Ha ha.

"Tell Carter he can come with us for the meal out hunny!" My mum hollered at me as I walked out to my car.

"Will do! What about Rowan? She always comes though." I gave her a pouty face.

"She's family, you don't need to ask her." She winked at me. "Go have fun in your new wheels! Stay safe."

"I will!" I replied, and got into my car with a bounce in my step. Could my day get any better?