Chapter 33- What Has Gotten Into You?

I knew it was week two, even though I tried to force myself to not pay attention to it, and to focus on the clock ticking in my class instead.

"Where has your ring gone?" Rowan asked me as she glanced at my hand, worry written all over her face.

"What ring?" I shrugged and looked away.

"The ring he gave you."

I shrugged again, then looked at her.

"It's gone." I said, deadpan, my face straight the whole time.

She looked shocked. "Branwen-"

I held up my hand. "Don't start, I don't care."

I got out of my seat in the middle of class, and calmly just walked out.

Pacing up and down the halls, River eventually found me.

"Hey." He waved. I wasn't too impressed.

"Hey." I replied bluntly.

His eyes latched into my left hand when he saw my ring wasn't there from my wave.

"Did you break up?"

"Doesn't matter." I brushed past him, but he caught my arm.

"Hey, it does matter..." his eyes searched my face. "Maybe we could catch a movie some time?"

"Some time."

Suddenly the bell went and I briskly walked off down the stairs and out the school gates.

--

The thing is, I knew I wasn't myself, and I hated Carter for it. I should have never let him into my life, and definitely should have never allowed myself to catch feelings for him, let alone allow them to run so deep. How could he be so irresponsible! It made me feel like I had to get tested to make sure I hadn't caught something from him, I was that worried.

Josh posted a new status on Facebook, inviting all his friends to another one of his friends parties again.

Oh, what the heck...

I threw on a push up bra and a short, black, skin tight dress, before slipping on a pair of black heels and doing my makeup. I straightened my hair, letting the long blonde locks tickle near the bottom of my back, before grabbing a clutch and walking out the door without a word.

When I arrived, considering it was only 7pm, the party wasn't at it's peak due to it still being quite early. I walked into the house and found my way to the kitchen, pouring myself a drink.

"Hey... Branwen?"

I turned around with a glass in my hand, taking a drink.

"Yup, that's me." I took another sip of my drink, ignoring the face he was making.

"Woah- you look great." Josh complimented me, making me smirk.

"Thank you." I repressed a chuckle at his shocked face, then tilted back the drink and downed it. "I think I'm going to need another?"

From seeing my raised eyebrows, he hurried to top up my glass. When he handed it back to me, I gave him a smile, gliding my hand over his shoulders as I walked out the room.

--

Before I knew it, the party had hit full swing, and suddenly I was out on the dance floor having the time of my life.

"Get this girl another!" Some guy I had met shouted. Jerry? I wasn't too sure.

"I'd like that very much!" I yelled, throwing my hands up in the air and laughing as I swayed my body to the music.