Chapter 28- Together As One

AUTHOR'S NOTE!!!

HUGE DISCLAIMER: SEXUAL SCENES AHEAD, SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I feel like I need to explain why I included a sex scene. Well, Branwen and Carter's relationship started out as sexual attraction, but then it was emotional attraction, too. Both of these combined are an extremely powerful thing, so overwhelming that you need to find a way to release. We learned that Carter had a 'player past,' meaning he hooked up with many girls so obviously wasn't a virgin. Hence, Carter is used to getting this release with girls whenever he wants, but since meeting Branwen he hasn't done anything remotely sexual but exchange kisses with her. This shows his love for her, how he waited for when she was ready and only when that time came. He never pressured her into anything, which Rowan mentions must have caused him to have 'blue balls.' Carter has never had this emotional attachment to a girl, where in the story he explains to Branwen she is basically his 'first girlfriend.' For them to give themselves to each other is a beautiful development in their lives, that shares their trust for one another between them.

Branwen, on the other hand, is a character scared to love, and is scared of emotional attachment. She hasn't shared all of her burdens with Carter, and he doesn't rush her into doing that- only telling her he will listen to her when she is ready to talk. For her to engage in such an intimate action, arguably the most intimate possible, shows that her walls are caving in since meeting Carter, and she is blossoming into a person who is learning to love and accept that the vulnerability that comes with it might actually be worth it, rather than running from it all the time to avoid getting hurt, like she has before. She may not have spilled her secrets yet, but I'm sure she will soon, and for her to let down her guard with Carter is such an important character development for her in this story. We know Rowan had essentially engaged in this level of intimacy before, and yet even she does not pressure Branwen into thinking she has to do it. She told her it's just a matter of 'when you're ready,' and the fact Branwen is ready to share arguably the most vulnerable part of herself to Carter is significant.

I know many authors don't like to include sex scenes in their books, but for me this was an important advancement that will lead to many other events. Are you ready?

--

Carter led me into his cabin before locking the door, when the nerves hit me.

Oh my gosh, I'm about to do this, I thought. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh.

We took off our jackets, and Carter helped me out of mine, then because I was looking everywhere but him he turned my face to meet his.

"Are you sure about this?" He asked.

His hand cupping my face was enough to send shocks through my skin, making me confirm my decision.

"Yes, I love you, I love you so much."

He dipped down to kiss me softly, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He was in dark jeans, and underneath his grey Adidas hoodie he had a plain t-shirt on. I fingered the hair at the nape of his neck, letting all the feelings I was experiencing rock me, as his hands began to run up and down my back. My stomach was a pit full of butterflies, and I felt like swaying to the beat of my heart. Somehow I felt calm, yet so alive.

We eventually picked up the pace, Carter pushing me up against the wooden cabin wall as we both kicked off our shoes and lost ourselves in each other's kisses. He pinned my hands above my head and pressed his body into me, causing a heat to radiate in my core.