Chapter 16

16- A fox on a skate board why not
   I shot up panting heavily and collided with a very solid object. "Arg watch it," Donovan yelped now furiously rubbing his forehead.
   "Why were you watching me while I slept anyway creep," I muttered groggily. Somehow though I couldn't commit to being very cross about it. 
"You were twitching and making all sorts of strange noises," he smirked. Again with all the smirking.
  "Brilliant I'm barking mad awake and asleep."
"Hurry up and get dressed, we've got school. God I never thought I would say that."
   Oh yes that was right my three days re-cooperation time was up and I was going to school again. I was tired, emotionally drained and mentally non-existent. I had spent the last three days trying and failing to stay in human form continually but I just popped straight back into a fox after an hour or two so Donovan had begrudgingly given me a spare hoodie he owned that was charmed to stay up once you pulled the string. As usual when I asked where it had come from he skipped past the subject as with all questions about himself. 
    "Why are you even going, I thought you knew everything." 
  "I need to keep an eye on you," he shrugged. He cared enough about me that he wants to watch over me?
  "Why I'm not your child you don't need to babysit me." 
  "You could do something stupid and draw attention landing me in trouble. Plus I've never been to school could be fun," he argued. 
  "And you could find this weirdo your stalking." I teased.
"Perhaps," he murmured distractedly. 
   I scurried around readying myself showering, dressing, eating as if I was normal keeping up the charade but I knew this couldn't last I wouldn't be going to school for all my possible days on the planet. 
   "No," I said in frustration sitting at the breakfast table alone with Donovan, eating a plate of food he had cooked which when I asked about he just muttered "a puca thing".
  "No what," he sighed not looking up from his newspaper which was a weird thing to see a '16 year old' do.
 "I'm not just wandering in there like a normal boring person." I decided feverishly.
  "Oh and what do you have planned," he said dully.
"I'm going to skateboard...as a fox." .
"That is ridiculous.".
"No it's not and I intend to do it so come on, lets go," I grinned. This would be a great way to light up an ordinary day. We went to the garage where I found my old skateboard it was a little small but I was only the size of a terrier as a fox so it would be fine. I did up my hood and proceeded to change into my fox feeling the usual comfortable waves of warmth as I did so, it still took me around a minute but Donovan said with practice I would be able to change almost instantly. 
  "Are you sure this is a good idea aren't you trying to keep a low profile?"
  "It'll be fine besides it's better than popping in and out of fox form all the way to school."
     "Yeah maybe but I repeat aren't we trying to keep a low profile?"
"Na I shifted in front of the whole school while glowing then everyone got hypnotised for some reason, there is no low profile with me."
   "Oh I forgot all about the scent thing here," he went to his neck and unclipped what looked suspiciously like a necklace. 
  "Answers," I prompted him staring with disdain at the necklace. It wasn't terrible, just a a pendant on a coarse black string but I had a small feminine figure at the best of times adding jewellery to the equation would not be wise. The charm was actually quite beautiful a large white crystal that glowed slightly when Donovan's fingers brushed it.
  "Well Kitsunes are creatures of charm that's how you warp the mind to experience illusions. Before you shift your true scent is locked away to conceal your identity a brilliant genetic adaptation by the way but when you first shift your true scent is revealed. Nobody knows what a kitsune truly smells like because you smell like a persons favourite scent. It's usually fox musk, with some wood-smoke, your favourite scent and a touch of something always mistaken for shifter scent but actually that of the skin changer. This is a rare and unusual element called olfur which warps your sense of smell to accommodate what you would expect a person to smell like when on the wearer."
   "Right, I think I've got it but don't you need it?"
"Nope I can regulate my own scent it took me a lot of practise though, I'll have to teach you at some point. Pucas also don't have such alluring scents we are supposed to be mysterious and dangerous if everyone was running after us because of our smell we'd be out of a job." Now that he had taken off the necklace I could smell him in full and it was amazing. He smelled of sea spray, dewy grass on an evening, clean night air, the fresh leather of a horse saddle and that special swirl of magic. But it was sucked away as he turned it off his scent now completely gone. 
  I took it and clipped it on instantly feeling the cold weight of the stone twice as strongly as it worked away.  But something was still bothering me. 
   "Why aren't you affected by my scent, I kinda get why my family don't they've been around me all the time but why not you?"
  "Not sure really, I don't have all the answers its probably because I'm a skin changer too." This seemed fair enough an answer so I didn't ask anything else not that I had an opportunity to anyway because suddenly, Donovan's head shot up and he scanned the room his eyes darting into every corner. 
"What is it," I whispered in fear, what if the hunt had come back?
   "You never told me Lara was a blue Merle wolf," he snapped his usually swirling golden eyes now wild and filled with some sort of unnatural light. 
  "Couldn't you smell her before," I retorted though the words were still shaky.
"No not over your scent," he muttered twitching as if fighting to stay still.
  "What does it matter anyway?"
"I'm a creature of the night and the darkness Blaze, the moon can do funny things to us sometimes it is our enemy lighting the lamp for evil to flee us, other times it will aid us in our journeys giving us power of light as well as shadow. We're not always looked on favourably  in the legends because although we never harmed anyone we caused great fear among people. Giving us the moon meant mortals never felt safe at night! Although this could be useful the tides are controlled by the moon and since I control water already working with a blue Merle could be interesting. " 
   "Okay well she is a blue Merle and we should probably get to school because we're going to be late," I muttered. 

A/N sorry for the filler chapter I promise school will be interesting. In the comments tell me some fantasy stories you like I loved the darkest minds a great read if you want to check it out. :)