chapter 24

24- a decision

"Err guys I hate to interrupt whatever this," Mark said gesturing between Van and I as we stood together just after breaking a kiss, "is but someone is coming."
   "Who," Donovan asked immediately jumping back to his wild jumpy state. 
"I don't know Ally, Lauren and Kal all shared a vision of men on horseback heading this way."
  The reaction was immediate. Van and I snapped straight into our animal forms. He stood stamping, and snorting as his wild black stallion. His eyes blazed and I could see water starting to pool at his feet. Meanwhile I had turned into my fox, auburn fur glowing and my tails swishing around with their own minds. 
   "Wow guys that was pretty impressive," Mark noted.
"Never mind that how far of are they?" Donovan asked speaking English in his horse form (jealous).
   "Not far by now we need a plan. The council will be interested in all of us but you two are the only ones violating laws. Your races were supposed to be wiped out hundreds of years ago so they are not happy with your presence."
   We went inside to find the others huddled around a table that was piled with books and scrolls. All of it looked ancient and magical but I wasn't convinced any of it would help us now. We were going to have to either be captured and destroy them from the inside or keep shooting the messengers as it were, that they would continue to send. 
   "There are 50 of the councils finest hunters on the backs of the cruor shires," everyone cringed at these words so I interrupted. 
   "What are cruor shires?"
"Demon horses the size of elephants with acidic saliva and canine teeth."
"Great."
"As well as those they have their usual hellhounds and a manticore."
"A manticore seriously?"
"Unfortunately yes, so we're facing packs of hungry herd animals and one of the most deadly hybrids known to our world."
  "So do we have a plan?"
"Yes we are going to try to keep the fight near the large river that runs through the forest. That way Donovan and Grace can use their powers to the fullest. Meanwhile Mark will try to summon animals in the area to our aid and Allister will summon the towns electrical appliances to do battle." Ooh goody a toaster army. "Kal and I will make an ariel strike from above, trying to get the riders of the cruor shires." Lauren decided and everyone agreed. 
   "And me?" I asked noticing my absence from the plan. 
"You are going to unleash your spirit fox."
"No he absolutely is not!" Donovan thundered crashing his great hooves down in fury and breaking some of the floorboards."
  "My what?"
"Spirit fox it's the celestial animal who's form you share. They lay dormant supplying you you're powers and watching over you. However they are very powerful and can be summoned to take over you're fox and use you're powers to the fullest."
   "But he is half void fox so he will not be doing it. His fox is way too unpredictable to be unleashed. It may just decide to leave us to our fight and take over Blaze's body forever. It's too dangerous."
   "Yes but Blaze is too young to be able to use his great abilities. He is more powerful than all of us put together with his fox, without it we may all lose our fight today."
   "I'll do it," I decided. 
"No Blaze you could die!"
"I'm prepared to take that risk."
"I'm not," Van whimpered. 
   "It's okay I'll be fine and you'll be watching my back as always I'm sure." I smiled softly. 
The belting noise of a hunting horn sounded. It was time to end this and send the council a message. This fox was going to fight!