Chapter 10.

Blood-curdling. That was what my scream sounded like. I was shaking and sobbing. Another one of my horrifying nightmares tainted my otherwise peaceful sleep. I could hear footsteps coming towards my bedroom. No, I don't want to die yet, I thought, terrified. I pulled the duvet above my head and chanted a small prayer. Suddenly, my warm haven was yanked away from me and I let out another scream.

"No! Leave me alone. Ple-" "Grace.. Shhh it's just me."

I was instantly wrapped up in a warm embrace. Somehow, that calmed me down and helped me rationalize my situation.

"Shh.. It's okay. I'm here," Hunter whispered in my ear. I forgot he was sleeping downstairs. I was still fighting back sobs when I spoke to him, "I'm sorry I woke you up," I sniffed. Oh my gosh, please don't let me get any snot on his shirt.

"That's okay. What happened?"

"Nothing. What time is it?" Trying to divert the conversation, I looked at the clock. 5:00 A.M. I sighed.

"Did you have a bad dream?" Hunter asked softly. I nodded, not wanting to tell him about the details. "Do you want to talk about it?" I shook my head.

"Come on, let's get you back to sleep" Hunter tried to remove me from my position on his lap but I was just getting comfortable so I held down his hands, "No. I don't want to sleep anymore." I snuggled more into him, breathing in his scent, even though he smelt like cigarette smoke. Maybe the hint of vanilla gave me comfort... It was soothing, to say the least.

Hunter let out a small chuckle, "Well, if you just wanted to cuddle, all you had to do was ask." I could sense his smirk so I pinched his hooded chest. That made him laugh even more.

"Tell me a story." I said childishly.

"Which one?"

I pretended to think and looked up at him. He was already looking at me, a strange look on his face. "Tell me what happened tonight." His expression dropped and he let out a groan.

"Can we not? I really don't want to talk about it"

"Well, considering that you kinda ruined my night and I sorta took care of you, I think you owe me an explanation," I stated.

He sighed, causing his chest to rise and fall under my hands.

"Well if you must know, I got drunk and ran into a couple of old acquaintances. You know what happened next, the end." I gave him a look that showed him that I was not satisfied with his story.

This stubborn boy, I swear. "Why were you drunk in the first place?"

"Because I wanted to?" It sounded more like a question than an answer. I raised a brow.

"I just wanted to forget about a couple things, so I thought drinking would help me forget." He gave me a knowing look. I ignored the eruption of butterflies that was bubbling in my belly because of his look.

"What did you want to forget?" I managed to croak out.

"This girl I think I like. I don't think I stand a chance with her, though." He stared down at me, a sad smile on his handsome face. "Why not?"

"Because I'm broken."

That sentence made my heart ache. I didn't want to believe him. How can someone who looks so carefree be broken? But then again, I don't know much about him. People sometimes put up a façade to hide their real emotions and feelings. Maybe that was what I was doing too.