Chapter 22.

I woke up when I heard the banging of pots and pans coming from the kitchen. I rubbed my sleepy eyes and sat up on the seat. I stretched out my hands and let out a loud yawn, closing my eyes as the bright light from outside stung my eyes. I heard someone chuckle and I instantly opened my eyes to see a grinning Hunter sitting on the couch, fully dressed.

"You could swallow a horse with that yawn," he teased me and I threw a pillow at his head. He ducked and started laughing. I rolled my eyes and got up to go to the bathroom.

"Good morning, Grace," he said, still chuckling and I shot him a glare over my shoulders when he wouldn't stop laughing.

I'm not really a morning person.

After brushing my teeth and did all my other essentials, I followed the smell of bacon and eggs, leading me to the backyard.

"Good morning everyone," I chirped at my parents and Hunter who was sitting at the breakfast table on the lawn, soaking up the warm weather.

"Where's Dada?" I asked as I took my seat next to Hunter and grabbed a plate of bacon and toast.

"He went out for his morning walk," Dad answered as he sipped on his orange juice.

I nodded and started devouring my breakfast. "Is grandma up yet?"

"Yeah, you can go talk to her soon, but before you do, we need to talk to you first." Mom said in a serious tone, making me nervous and anxious.

"Okay, let's go inside honey," Dad gestured for me to follow him as he got up from his seat. We all went to the living room and took a seat. Hunter sat next to me and held my hand. I'm guessing whatever they wanted to tell me, it was not going to be good.

"Sweetheart," my mom said softly and directed a glance at Hunter. I squeezed his hand and spoke, "Mom, it's okay. I want him next to me right now."

Mom nodded and grabbed Dad's hands before continuing, "Your grandma...she..she had a stroke, honey. I'm so sorry."

"Wh-what do y-you mean?" I didn't realize that my hands were trembling and I dug my nails into Hunter's hand. He didn't flinch nor said anything but instead rubbed small circles on the back of my hand.

"The stroke hit her nerves, sweetheart. She can't-" I watched as Mom struggled to get the words out. "She can't walk anymore."

I felt like a tub of cold water was splashed on me because the next thing I knew, I was scrambling from my seat and ran outside to get some fresh air. I felt someone come up behind me and I closed my eyes, feeling the warm breeze hit my face.

"Grace?" Hunter said softly. I turned and faced him, my eyes pooling with unshed tears. "Do you want to come with me to meet her?" I asked hopefully.

"Of course."

We went back in and made our way to Nana's room, passing my parents who had sad but encouraging smiles on their faces.

I stood outside the door and took a deep breath, gently knocking on it thrice.

"Come in," a small voice echoed from inside the room. I twisted the doorknob and slowly opened the door. I stepped in and my heart constricted at the sight of my immobile grandmother, sitting on the bed with her back on the headboard, supported by huge fluffy pillows.

As soon as she saw me, a small smile graced her beautiful face but I could tell that she was struggling with it. I quickly went to her side and kneeled down next to her. I took her hands in mine and kissed it.

"Hey Nana," I croaked out, my voice thick with emotion.

"Hey Gracey." Her small voice rang in my ears and I smiled at her. "How are you feeling Nana?"

"Better. Who's this dashing young man?" She glanced at Hunter who was awkwardly standing by the door.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I said to Hunter and went to pull him next to us. He crouched down so that he was on eye level with my grandma. "Nana, this is my boyfriend, Hunter. Hunter, this is my beautiful Nana, Callie Myers." I said as I laid a hand on Hunter's arms.

Hunter, being the gentleman that he is, took my Nana's hand and kissed the back of it, earning a chuckle from the both of us. "I can see that beauty runs in the family," he said and displayed his dimpled smile, making the inner fan girl in me squeal.

"I like him. Keep this one," she said in a playful tone and I turned to Hunter who had a smug look on his face. I smiled at the both of them, making me almost forget about her condition. Almost.

"Nana, when did this happen?" I asked and saw her face dropped. "Old age, sweetheart. Don't you worry, I'll be fine."

I scrunched up my eyebrows in confusion, "How will you be fine? You can't walk anymore. Mom said-" I stopped when the familiar tight feeling ached my chest.

"I've been doing some physiotherapy, honey. It may take some time but I'll walk again. Not like before, but I will."

I nodded and looked up at her through my lashes. She gestured for me to come closer to her when she saw my sad look. I leaned in and she lifted her trembling fingers to my face and caressed my cheeks, tracing a rough, shaky pattern on them. I placed my hands on top of hers and bent down so she could kiss my forehead.

"So, tell me how did you two lovebirds meet?" Nana asked the both of us when I sat back on the floor next to Hunter.

I smiled at her before telling her about Hunter and I's first meeting. When I glanced at him, he had a strange look in his eyes, as if he was recalling something. He saw me looking at him and gave me a wink. I shook my head and turned back to Nana to catch up on everything that happened during our time apart.

Nana would ask Hunter questions about random things and he would answer them with a smile. He seemed to be getting along with her too. I'm glad Nana liked him because she means a lot to me and her opinions mattered most.

I watched the both of them talking animatedly about something and I smiled fondly at the sight.

I just hope she gets better soon.

The door creaked open and my Mom's head popped in. "Guys, why don't you let grandma rest for a bit and come eat some lunch," she said as she came inside and stood at the foot of the bed.

I hadn't realize that we've been talking for a couple hours till Mom came to get us. Hunter stood up and held his hand out for me. I took it and let him pull me up. "We'll be right down, Mom." She nodded and left the room.

"We'll catch up again later, okay?" I said as I kissed her head and turned towards the door. I stopped at the doorway when I realised that Hunter wasn't behind me and I looked back over my shoulders. I saw him leaning down next to Nana's face and she whispered something to him, making him nod in agreement. He gave her one last smile before coming to my side and I cocked up an eyebrow, silently asking him what that was all about.

He shrugged nonchalantly but there was a twinkle in his eyes that said otherwise. I rolled my eyes and pushed past him, grumbling under my breath as he followed behind me.

As much as I tried to be mad at him for not telling me, I couldn't help but be happy that he was here and that he was getting on really well with my family.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Who loves and appreciate their grandma? xx

This chapter is dedicated to my amazing grandma, who also had a stroke but she's going strong, as ever. I didn't want to make it too long, so here you go.

Much love,

❤Fenny❤