Chapter 16

Demi

We walked out of the bathroom to the kitchen, Wilmer on one side of me and Lyric on the other 'Momma? can Maddie sit next to me?' Lyric asked as the rest of the family except Mom and Dallas walked in 'I'm sure she will if you ask her' it was so cute how she bonded to Maddie so quickly, I guess Maddie is probably the first friend near her age she's had in a while 'Auntie MadMad? will you sit with me' Maddie smiled and nodded 'of course I will baby' I couldn't help the huge smile that spread across my face, they were just too cute! Mom walked in and set the food on the table, Wilmer put food on my plate for me whilst I did Lyric's, I watched as I put the plate down in front of her she looked up at me pleadingly I shook my head, she sighed and started to eat. I started to eat my own food occasionally looking at Lyric to make sure she wasn't stuffing anything anywhere or hiding food. As I glanced over I saw her almost in tears, which broke my heart, I pulled her onto my lap and she hid her face in my chest 'it hurts momma' she sobbed into my chest 'excuse us a moment' I said standing up, my mom gave me a stern glare because I hadn't finished my food 'Wilmer has to go with you Demi, I'm sorry but I don't trust you right now' mom said, I nodded and Wilmer stood up following me to the living room 'baby I know it hurts but I need you to eat it all, I promise you once you have I help you with the pain, but if I help you now it'll get worse when you eat agin' she nodded 'please help me momma, I can't eat it on my own' I nodded 'I'll hold your hand babygirl' she nodded and I wiped her eyes. We walked back to the table and mom eyed me, before looking back down to her food, I don't know why she's all suspicious today maybe she heard me earlier in the bathroom? I grabbed Lyric's hand and she started to eat again, the same with me. I had finished my food and Lyric was still only about three quarters of the way through, everyone else was waiting for her to finish which I knew was not going to help her in any way 'how about we play a game of scrabble, can y'all set it up, Wilmer and I will stay here with Lyric' They all stood up and left, Marissa, Maddie, Dallas and Mom leaving with worried expressions, I knew Marissa knew but now Mom, Maddie and Dallas would be on my case about it.

After Lyric had finished eating she jumped onto my lap and started to sob 'make it stop momma, please, momma it hurts!' my poor baby, I picked her up and carried her into the bathroom 'maybe the hot water will help babygirl' she nodded slowly 'will you get in with me, I'm scared I'll give in to them' I nodded. I undressed and got into the bath, which was now filled with hot water, she shortly got in after me, sitting in between my legs and leaning back onto my chest, she was still sobbing so I moved my hand to rub her stomach. 'Momma, it hurts, not my stomach where they hurt me' god damn it I left the cream at home 'I'm sorry babygirl, I left your stuff at home, will you be okay? for the next three hours?' she nodded.

We got out of the bath about thirty minutes later. After we got dressed we walked back out to the family room 'Hey Lyric, wanna come hang with me? these old people are boring' Lyric looked to me and I nodded, Maddie grabbed her hand and dragged her upstairs 'baby, come get me if you need me' I shouted after them, I heard a faint okay back. I went and sat down inbetween Dallas and Wilmer 'okay Demi, so tell us why you so urgently had to adopt that beautiful little girl, I think I already know one reason that we will talk about later but what was so urgent?' Mom asked, I looked to Wilmer and he shrugged 'I don't know if that's my story to tell, sorry momma' she nodded 'will you come help me with the dishes then please Dem' I nodded and followed mom into the kitchen. 'sweetheart, I'm so proud of you' Mom said as we were washing the dishes 'you've come so far in your recovery and helped so many people whilst doing so, it's truly amazing' she started to tear up, I hugged her tightly 'don't cry momma' she smiled 'happy tears baby' I giggled 'what happened in the bathroom today, when Wilmer had to rush in' I took a deep breath, 'I had a moment' I said quietly 'what happened sweetheart?' I shook my head 'momma I need to go ask Lyric something and then I'll explain everything to you if I can' she nodded and I sprinted upstairs. 'babygirl? can you come here a second' she walked over to me 'can I tell my momma, about your problems with food? and your other issues? she's getting suspicious, I promise you she won't hate you' she nodded 'momma you can, Auntie MadMad has been asking me questions too, should I tell her?' she asked quietly 'if you want babygirl, I'm sure she won't be mean about it' she nodded 'I think I'll tell her, but can you help me, like hold my hand while I do it' I nodded and walked back over to Maddie with her 'Auntie MadMad? Can you promise you won't hate me?' Maddie nodded 'I'd never hate you babygirl' Lyric took a deep breath 'You know how you were asking questions earlier? well I'm going to answer them. I limp because I was beaten and raped?' she looked to me and I nodded 'I have trouble with food, and I cut myself, I was scared earlier at the school because they were my old bullies at the orphanage' Maddie had tears in her eyes and wrapped her arms around Lyric 'I'm so glad Demi found you babygirl, I love you so much and if you ever need me call me' Lyric nodded and wiped Maddie's eyes.

'Momma, Lyric was raped, multiple times, I was so scared for her and when she told me I did the first thing that came to mind, I adopted her' Mom nodded and wrapped me in a hug 'I'm proud of you baby, you saved a little girl' I smiled 'but she's so skinny momma, what happened in the bathroom was because I'm so afraid of losing her to anorexia, she doesn't want to eat but she needs to, I'm so scared momma' I sobbed in her embrace 'Dem baby calm down, she'll be alright, because she has you' I took a deep breath 'she cuts too momma, it kills me to look at her scars, I just wish I could have been there.