𝐱. fight for you

chapter ten

chapter ten. . .
fight for you

SIMON HAD BEEN shifting on his feet as he stood behind Alec, Malia and Clary. His attention had been focused on what was underneath him as he had been the one to notice how the floorboards freaked underneath him. "These floorboards." Malia looked over her shoulder at the Lewis who's feet continued to tap against the floorboards. "They sound different in these two spots." Malia sighed, as she questioned what sound was Simon listening to. "Can't you hear it?" He asked. "There's something under here."

"Simon..." Malia sighed before he has crouched down and moved the carpet to the side.

The Lewis had been able to pinch the loose floorboard, leaving a missing space. "Another score for Brooklyn." He boasted.

Malia shifted on the wedge of her ankle boots as she watched Alec reach for Simon's arm to pull him away. "Hey, out of the way." He demanded.

"You're welcome." Simon reforged.

As Alec has fallen to one knee he had reached underneath the floorboard. At first his hand roamed around the space before it rested on something. "There's something down here." He told. The Lightwood had retrieved a wooden box with the initials on the lid, J.C. "Is this the box you remember?"

"Yeah." Clary replies as she took it from Alec's grasp. "She used to wait till she thought I was asleep and then take it out." Her fingers brushed over the initials, tracing the letters as she questioned who they belonged to.

"Well, let's open it." Simon encouraged.

As much as Malia wanted to know what was inside the box, a soft baby cry had filled her ears. It was sharp and ear piercing. No one had noticed the grimace that spread across her face as their focus was on the objects inside the box that Clary had opened.

It was filled with a tiny baby boot, a lock of hair and a rattle, all which the Fairchild wasn't expecting. "I don't know what any of this is."

As the baby cry grew louder, Malia knew she couldn't be the only one able to hear it. "Don't you heart that?" Malia questioned as her attention drifted towards her two best friends and Alec.

Before anyone could ask Malia a further question of what she heard a thud within the distance had caused them to look out the door of the Fairchild's old room. "There's someone here." Alec told. "Get what you need. Do not move until I get back. We've been here too long."

Malia nodded before she crouched to the floor to place the floor add back into place. "Malia," Simon called for the brunete who pushed herself to her feet. "what did you hear?"