𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. a meet unexpected

chapter eighteen

chapter eighteen. . .
a meet unexpected

MALIA HAD FIGURED that any time where she was falling more into the normality of the dimension she was in it meant that she'd hear a scream smack against her ear drum each time. It hurt her head and she didn't know if she could cope with hearing that constantly. The grip on her steering wheel had tightened causing her knuckles to turn white. She hadn't noticed how tight her grip was as she pulled into the park spot that she had been lucky to find in front of the shop she was supposed to meet Clary at. Malia's brows furrowed with no sight of the redhead who she guessed her stepped into the shop before she had gotten there.

Magnus Bane owned the shop, playing off as a fortune teller with the use of tarot cards. It was how he made for a living. The elegance that Magnus had in the order dimension was in the shop that he owned and which Malia had taken her first step into. The place was cluttered with books, rather messier than the real Magnus' home. Her eyes widened at the sight before her eyes fell upon Clary who had jumped with the ringing of the bell above the door.

Malia greeted her best friend with a smile. "Hey." She greeted warmly before her eyes shifted towards Magnus who had been stirring within his teacup. "Um, what's going on?" Malia asked.

Clary sighed. "Magnus is trying to get back his magic." She stated as Malia rested her shoulder back onto the table. "Malia, I saw Valentine and my mother."

Malia broke out into a smile. "I saw Veronica."

"Uh, who are you?" Magnus questioned before he had sipped some of the tea he had conjured.

"Malia." The teen introduced as she blindly picked up a book that cluttered on the tables. "Friend of Clary's and also from the other dimension where Downworlders and Shadowhunters exist."

"Nice to meet you." Malia forced a smile before looking down at white heavy book within her grasp that had a golden trim around the edges of it. Magnus' attention focused back to the cup within his grasp wanting his magic back. "This better work." He prayed before taking a sip of the drink.

Clary's brows furrowed. "What does that do?"

Magnus grimaced at the taste within his mouth. "Hopefully...kick-start my magic."

"And?"

"Give it a minute?" Magnus suggested before he noticed what Malia's interest had fallen into. "That book is very precious." He stated as he gestured to the book where she flickered through the pages without even reading what was written in it. "Warlock spells preserved in all their grandeur."

"It's stunning." Clary commented.

Magnus' hands fell to his sides, not feeling any sort of magical feeling from drinking the tea. "This isn't working. This is the longest I've ever abstained." As he turned back to the cup he had picked it up quickly with a sigh. "From a lot of things."