Chapter 13: What Have You Done?

My body was frozen, my breathing nonexistent. James was at the door, and then without blinking his hand engulfed my neck.

"I'm going to enjoy this." I closed my eyes as his teeth sank into my flesh, and I felt my blood flowing into his waiting mouth.

I felt my knees give out and I waited for my face to make contact with the floor but contact never came.

I opened my eyes, and James was still at the door. I stared back as he glared daggers right into me. I could tell he was trying to figure out what is next move was going to be.

"James, you have been dismissed. What is the meaning of barging in our chambers?"

"I want an explanation! You tell me that my matters are my own, but then I see and smell the very core of my matter here."

"We owe you nothing." Aro commanded.

James continued to glare at me, but when I blinked he left. Completely gone.

Just like my daydream, I felt my knees give way, only this time it was really happening. I watched as the floor grew closer to my face, only this time, Felix caught me.

"It's okay. I got you." He whispered into my ear.

"Uncle Aro, why was he here?" Though I didn't need to ask. Gianna had mentioned that a vampire was here seeking retribution. He was here seeking permission to kill me. Edward thought James wanted him, but he wants me.

"Never you mind child. All that matters is you're here." Caius said, but that wasn't something I could accept. James was so close, and if it wasn't for me being surrounded by so many vampires, he could have killed me right then.

"It does matter Uncle Caius! He wants to kill me doesn't he? That's why he came here." I screamed. This wasn't the homecoming any of us had planned.

"Yes. He came seeking permission to kill a vampire's pet. He described the Cullen's and we knew instantly it was you he was after. We ordered him to stay away from you and the Cullen's. Though the Cullen's will be dealt with separately."

"What do you mean 'dealt with?'" I asked.

"They placed you in danger. In harm's way. We can't have that."

"You wanted your identity secret. You can't very well punish them for something that you wouldn't punish another family for if the same situation had occurred." I reasoned.

"How do you mean?" Aro asked. He was definitely intrigued by my argument. That was a good sign.

"She means, had it been any other human, we wouldn't have stepped in to punish them Brother." Marcus defended me.

"But they let our existence be made known." Caius tried to counter but I knew where this would have headed long before I came back home.

"I told them I knew of vampires. It was me that mentioned vampires first. Most of the Cullen's wanted to kill me when I let them know. It wasn't until I told them of how I knew of vampires, and a healthy fear of the Volturi, that they relaxed around me."

"So you have covered the bases to keep your Cullen's safe." Aro smiled and looked pleased for some reason.

"I'm not an idiot uncle. I know how you and Uncle Caius like to operate sometimes.

"You can be very conniving, Bella. You'd make a lovely addition to the guard." Aro was definitely beaming.

"Can we not discuss my mortality?"

"You mean immortality. You can't escape the inevitable."

"You say to-mat-o, I say tomato." I corrected. Becoming a vampire was something I once wanted, but only with Edward. Without him, what was the use of living forever?