Chapter 24: A Night to Remember

I was curled in a ball on the plush seats on the private plane that Aro sent for me. I was hoping that Aro would also send Felix or someone to keep me company on the plane, but he didn't. Of course then I realized that no one probably wanted to fly back with the stinky werewolves that were supposed to be accompanying me.

It was there in my seat that I rested my eyes, replaying the events that began with graduation. The flight attendant probably thought I was crazy because I would smile randomly and then cry the next moment, those moments when I said goodbye to all that I loved. I was about to have a breakdown when I thought of seeing Alice and Jasper.

They had stopped by Charlie's house late on Monday; Charlie was watching some baseball game that had just went into extra innings and I was about to head upstairs for bed since my flight was in the morning. I made it to the top landing when I heard the door knocking.

"I got it." I called to Charlie so he didn't have to get out of his comfortable spot. I took my time though going back down even though I was tempted to hop a few steps at a time. Staircases really were my enemy after all.

"Ohmygosh! Alice, Jasper! I'm so happy you made it back home." I rushed my words out as I snared both of their hard necks into my arms. They each put an arm around me, neither one of us saying a word or even moving. I was content being near Alice that I barely felt the cramp forming in my leg from standing so long.

"Bella, I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable at the moment." I heard Jasper whisper but I was confused because vampires were able to stay in one position for indefinite periods of time. When I pulled away from them however, I understood.

"Sorry Jazz. If you'd like, go hunt. I understand." I offered him an apologetic smile, careful not to make him think I wasn't sympathetic to him.

"No, I'm fine. It's just you were a little closer than ever before." His southern drawl was enticing and he even flashed a quick teethy smile my way, reminding me that he was the newest to the vegetarian diet. But he was very controlled, no major incidents have happened, other than what happened in the parking lot ages ago. And though the smile was only a bit frightening, it was very playful.

"Hey Bells, the game's over so I'm going to bed." I heard Charlie shut the light off in the den. He saw Alice and Jasper standing in the door and waved. I suddenly realized that Charlie had never met Jasper before. "Don't stay up to late, you have an early flight." Charlie kissed me on the top of my head before turning up the stairs.

"Okay, we won't make this long. First let me just say that Eleazar was astonished that you made your way to Forks all the way from Italy. When he was there, he had no idea that you had any family. And he is sorry that you had such an ordeal." Alice started.

"It wasn't really like he would have been able to do anything had he known." I pointed out. I managed to survive in the Volturi for several reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with Charlie, and everything to do with the sheer power of a handful of vampires who by Aro's edict couldn't harm me. He never would have made it out of the castle with me if he knew where I was to be placed. I wanted to tell her to mention to Eleazar that while his expression of sympathy is an appreciated gesture, it wasn't needed. But that would have been dreadfully rude, and that was something I didn't need to be.

"Okay so, he remembers the trip to Volterra when he had to meet you for the first time. I mean how could he not, he's a vampire right? Anyways, he told me what your gift was." I had listened intently and I was completely floored with the news that Alice gave me. No wonder Aro was so interested in me. And no wonder he was careful that no one had turned me too early. He needed me to be completely mature enough to control myself.

I also knew that if for whatever reason Aro was to meet Alice, Jasper or even Eleazar before I was able to develop my gift, they'd be killed. Eleazar for telling Alice, and Alice and Jasper for knowing.