Chapter 22: For the Best

It was a relief to finally tell someone other than Carlisle what my plans were, and Rose seemed especially touched that I was going through so many obstacles to make sure that everyone was safe from the Volturi. Alice tried reassuring me that even if one thing was to fail, no one would blame any of this on me. Of course that only sent me in a fit of hysteria because failure at one thing may mean death for some one. I also managed to keep a part of my plan a secret from everyone, something that Carlisle only knew.

I had a long time to sleep since I was exhausted with graduation, the party, and Edward's proposal. I was hardly effected by Felix's proposal, but Edward's seemed to take a lot out of me. And I knew it was because deep down, I loved him with all my heart and telling him I was going home to Italy regardless of that love, hurt me just as much as he was hurt.

By the time I woke up in the afternoon, I was mad at myself for wasting valuable preparation time by sleeping half the day away. But I was surprised to see that Alice had already dressed me in some warm clothes to save some time.

"See, I told you that she'd be waking up soon. God, you're so impatient when it comes to her." I heard Alice complaining to someone outside of the door. It wasn't until, Felix was sitting on the edge of my bed that I knew who she was yelling at.

"Well good afternoon, sleepyhead." Felix's smooth voice cooed in my ear, and I smiled as he kissed my forehead. There was a startling crash that came from somewhere downstairs and I was worried that someone dropped something big. Felix chuckled softly, and that caused me to narrow my eyes with suspicion.

I jumped out of the bed and walked down the hallway. More like waddled, Alice but several layers of pants on me and it was making it kind of hard to walk. "Is everything okay?" I asked as I thumped down the steps. I was only vaguely aware of Felix following slowly behind me.

At first glance of the scene downstairs, it appeared that Jasper and Emmett were having a seizure, but I realized that they were laughing too hard to do anything other than collapse to the floor. If it was possible for them to die again, it would have been that moment from laughter.

"What's wrong?" I asked again when no one answered me the first time. Jasper and Emmett continued laughing, actually they laughed even harder.

"Nothing, Edward had a little mishap with the television. And they're just stupid." Rosalie rolled her eyes while looking at her husband. She gave me a reassuring look and rubbed my arm and I knew the "mishap" was due to Edward's resentment towards me and Felix.

"Come on, we need to get you bundled up. You'll be in the mountains and it'll be snowing later, so you'll need more layers."

"Why is it snowing? It's June." I mumbled and it sounded like Emmett said "Welcome to Forks."

Alice led me back upstairs to finish dressing the top half of me.

"I want you to be careful up there. At least with it just being you and Felix, we have to make sure you come back with all toes and fingers." Alice fussed with a few different shirts before leading me back downstairs to the garage.

Edward was in the corner sulking and I felt a bit disappointed with the way he was acting; childish. Carlisle was going over the route he felt Felix should take and where in the mountains he should hide me. Alice and Esme were packing some additional items to keep me warm.

"What is all this stuff?" Felix asked when he saw the huge backpack that we'd be taking with us.

"The Cullen's go camping a lot when it's sunny out. At least that's their cover. And to help the town buy into the story, they buy a lot of gear every season to keep up appearances." I explained and Felix looked on at Carlisle with a bit of admiration for the storyline that he came up with.